Mummy, how does Daddy clean his gun?

Associate
Holy thread resurrection Feek :D

Very nice handgun though, I've shot with a 'baby' browning and a python (both a very long time ago) but never a MLP, they look like great fun. Do you use pre-formed charges btw?

Commissario
OP
In response to an earlier post in this thread, you can still own what are basically handguns in the UK, as long as the barrel is long enough - they then become classified as "carbines", in a farcical loophole in the law. Motions are under way to close the loophole though. Black powder will be unaffected.

No they don't become classified as carbines - They're listed as Long Barrelled Revolvers which are very different to carbines. I had a situation recently where someone I know thought he could buy an LBR because he had a spare rifle slot on his FAC but the friendly local FLO put him right on that matter.

Farcical? O RLY?

Caporegime

Providing it's a powered by black powder or a derivative and is muzzle loaded, yes. As long as you have a firearms certificate with that particular type of gun listed on it.

K.

How is that muzzle loaded?

So your allowed to own long barrelled single action revolvers in uk?
Say a old colt dragoon for example?
I have a friend who may well be interested in this.

Soldato
In some districts the FLO will now make you sign a disclaimer waiving your right to a refund when you apply for an LBR, due to the strong possibility of changes on them, and the potential for existing weapons to be confiscated.

That's as expected, FAC slots are weapon-specific (and I don't know about handguns, but for rifles at least, calibre and action-type specific).

And yes, farcical. All you see now is what are clearly handguns being sold as LBRs (correction noted, sorry for original mispost), simply to get round the loophole. Hence the talk of the loophole soon being closed.

Out of interest, do you shoot competitively with yours, or is it just a nostalgic pasttime?

Commissario
OP
The Dragoon is a cap and ball black power jobbie isn't it? In which case it can be added onto an FAC and owned perfectly legally.

My revolver is front loaded, which counts the same as muzzle loading, basically it means that it's not loaded by single bullets but you pour the powder in, add a wad and then force the ball into the chamber and then put the percussion cap on the nipple.

A long barrelled revolver is different - It's a revolver with double action, a very long barrel and a wrist brace. It's not small, hence the name.

Soldato
Don't know if anyone is interested, but just to stick some figures in, I just had a check, and to be classified as an LBR as opposed to an illegal handgun, you're looking at a barrel length which is 12-15", or an overall length exceeding 60cm. :)

Commissario
OP
In some districts the FLO will now make you sign a disclaimer waiving your right to a refund when you apply for an LBR, due to the strong possibility of changes on them, and the potential for existing weapons to be confiscated.

Hadn't heard that, I'll have to have a word with my buddy who's an FEO but it wasn't the case when I got mine.

That's as expected, FAC slots are weapon-specific (and I don't know about handguns, but for rifles at least, calibre and action-type specific).

I have had no limitations in action type on any of my slots, they're just listed as 'rifle' or 'shotgun' (I have section 1 shotguns).

And yes, farcical. All you see now is what are clearly handguns being sold as LBRs (correction noted, sorry for original mispost), simply to get round the loophole. Hence the talk of the loophole soon being closed.

The reason for the handgun ban was mainly to restrict weapons which could be easily concealed. LBRs can't be concealed at all due to their size and weren't very popular when they first appeared but over the last year or so there have been more competitions for them and the popularity is increasing rapidly.

Out of interest, do you shoot competitively with yours, or is it just a nostalgic pasttime?

All my firearms are used competitively except the Old Army in this thread, but we're looking at a way of using them for an iron plate discipline in the next year or so.

Commissario
OP
Don't know if anyone is interested, but just to stick some figures in, I just had a check, and to be classified as an LBR as opposed to an illegal handgun, you're looking at a barrel length which is 12-15", or an overall length exceeding 60cm. :)

Aye, they're huge, you can't stick one of those down your trousers!

Soldato
Full open slots? Lucky g*t,lol. Then again, I don't really need open slots so I don't know why I'm complaining! Hehe.

Give me a few minutes and I'll find the links to a discussion about people who have encountered the new waiver. It's district specific I think, not a blanket thing. Back in a min!

Soldato
There was some talk regarding the government starting to push again recently for further restrictions based on a report published in 2004, but as far as I know, nothing official has been put forwards for this as of yet.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237553&highlight=long+barrel+revolver

This is the discussion of the waiver that I was talking about though...

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2294158&postcount=9

Same thread, just picking out the post. I'm not sure whether to read it as "not going to happen because it's not general policy" or "is going to happen if they're trying to protect themselves against compensation".

Caporegime
I have had no limitations in action type on any of my slots, they're just listed as 'rifle' or 'shotgun' (I have section 1 shotguns).

Isn't section 1 pump/magazine fed, instead of break barrel?

If so where in god's name did you get a pump shottie?:eek:

*thinks of the possibilities:D*

Commissario
OP
Sorry, not fully open but not action specific. When I had my official visit I asked if I should list action type but was told not to - Just calibre and type was enough and that's what I got :)

/edit - Reading your links, ta.

/edit again - Interesting. Mentions semi-auto shotties and .22s as well :(

Last edited:
Commissario
OP
Tefal, Section 1 just means more than three shot capacity in shotguns. I have an 8 shot semi-automatic shotgun and am looking at a 9 shot pump action. They're widely available.

Soldato
Are these legal to hunt with? Because anything that can hold more than three shots will get in trouble back home!

Soldato
They're available Tefal, you just have to have valid reason to use them. Main reasons are heavy pigeon shooting or Practical Shotgun, those are the only reasons I know of for their use. Personally I prefer the simplicity of non-fed shotguns :).

I've had verbal approval for my FAC when he was around a while ago, but held off applying until I had the spare cash to fill the slots :). Going for .22 semiauto rimmy, .17HMR and a .22 FAC air. Also want deer, but it's going to be a year or two before I have that sort of spare cash on a regular basis, so had to put that on the backburner :(.

Last edited:
Soldato
8abu1yc.jpg

Back
Top Bottom