1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MX Record Help

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by Smokes, 18 Jan 2006.

1. Smokes

Wise Guy

Afternoon. Right I need to setup a MX record for one of my mates so that email is pushed to the destination via smtp rather than collected from a pop3 box.

The domain has been registered with uk2 and they have the mx record address as uk2mxarray3.uk2.net reading as "MX 0 uk2mxarray3.uk2.net"

Now the only option I have is to change the address, and I've set this up as the static IP thats used onsite, so it now reads "MX 0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"

Is this likely to work fine? I can't test it untill the uk2 nameservers restart over night but just wanted to make sure it was setup right first. Do I have to add anything to the exchange server that will be collecting the mail?

2. #Chri5#

Soldato

I thought MX records had to point to a FQDN, not an IP - happy to be told otherwise though...

3. Cuchulain

Sgarrista

You could just set up another A record of say "somethingorother.domainname.com" and point that to the IP address, then point your MX record to "somethingorother" that should work fine.

4. Burbleflop

PermaBanned

MX records can point to an IP address, but not to a CNAME.

5. Smokes

Wise Guy

Thanks for your replies guys. Just sent a test email on the off chnce and it works, so looks like its fine with just an IP address.

Cheers :)

6. Smokes

Wise Guy

Ok so its appears to be working from most mail servers but have just had a call to say that one email has been bounced because because the MX record contains an ip address and not a domain name :(

Cuchulain - if I create another A record mx.domain.com that points to the static IP address, then use mx.domain.com as the MX record, will that work?

7. Burbleflop

PermaBanned

Yep.

8. Smokes

Wise Guy

Ok while I've got your attention, how would I go about setting up a backup mx record? So if for instance their broadband line goes down, the mail gets sent to a backup pop3 box hosted elsewhere.

Is it a case of setting another A record up to point to another host with a pop 3 box, then adding another mx record to point to that with a priority of say 10, so it would read

MX 10 backupmx.domain.com

TIA :)

9. Burbleflop

PermaBanned

Just add another MX record with a higher cost then the primary one. Something like:

mycompany.com. IN MX 10 mail.mycompany.com
    mycompany.com. IN MX 20 mail.anothercompany.com

would do the trick. The higher the cost, the less favourable the mail server will become.

10. Smokes

Wise Guy

Excellent, thanks very much :D