My best find EVER! Boost game performance by 80-90%!

Associate
You dont need software to do this!!!

/Regedit

Hkey_Local_Machine> System> Currentcontrolset> Control > Session Manager > Memory management >

Disable Paging executive> Double click and change value from 0 to 1

Largesystemcache> Double click and change value from 0 to 1

I have used this tweak for years but I have never told people to use it because I was informed it could lead to stability problems!!

I have never had a problem and have always gained a considerable performance boost chaging those 2 parameters!

Associate
masterk said:
Totally shocked this is new to some people, also totally shocked there are people happy to try it :confused:

Not all people are masters about how a computer works and what all these things do. There is gonna be a lot more people with computers that have no idea what this is than people that do know. I wish i had that knowledge but im still learning, slowly :p

Soldato
Byron5184 said:
Not all people are masters about how a computer works and what all these things do. There is gonna be a lot more people with computers that have no idea what this is than people that do know. I wish i had that knowledge but im still learning, slowly :p

Fair enough, but i wouldnt recommend people who dont fully understand the implications of this to try it on their main system. :eek:

Soldato
OP
masterk said:
Fair enough, but i wouldnt recommend people who dont fully understand the implications of this to try it on their main system. :eek:

Implications? Faster loading times? Faster game performance? I havn't had any problems 3 hours non stop EQ2 gaming. :p

Wanna spell the implications out for us noobs? :D

Soldato
speeduk said:
Implications? Faster loading times? Faster game performance? I havn't had any problems 3 hours non stop EQ2 gaming. :p

Wanna spell the implications out for us noobs? :D

The next time you forget about it and start extracting and messing around with any medium sized files and you get a BSOD and lose all your data for one basic example.

Seriously, it may be a good fix, but its been known about for years, why do you think very few people do it?

Suspended
masterk said:
The next time you forget about it and start extracting and messing around with any medium sized files and you get a BSOD and lose all your data for one basic example.

Seriously, it may be a good fix, but its been known about for years, why do you think very few people do it?

I just applied it and it works 100% ok... chill man!!!!

Man of Honour
masterk said:

Been running this for a while...

No problems like the above at all..

Unrar'd a 7.2gb rar file about 20 mins ago...

Simon/~Flibster

Soldato
Didn't make any difference here, then again every time i do a performance change to my system, i never see a difference at all, ever >.<

Soldato
-|ScottFree|- said:
Largesystemcache> Double click and change value from 0 to 1

I would seriously suggest owners of Ati video cards do not follow this tweak unless they want to gamble with the contents of their hard drives

Just do a search on google for Largesystemcache+ati - for example
8. The LargeSystemCache Registry tweak and ATI video adapters. One peculiar set of circumstances that has been observed on multiple machines with ATI video adapters and more than 512MB of memory involves the LargeSystemCache Registry setting, a DWORD entry found in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlSession ManagerMemory Management. This setting governs the amount of memory set aside by the system for certain kernel processes. If it's set to 1 (which allegedly improves performance on systems with more than 512MB of memory), it can cause data corruption on some systems, and produce the "Delayed Write Failed" error. Try resetting it to 0 if it's been set.

Man of Honour
This tweak is actually an old one, been used by benchmarkers and so on for a long time.

As with all tweaks and tricks, you have to be aware of the potential pitfalls and dangers regarding system instability and so on. Think about it, would these options be set this way if all they did was slowed the system down? Hell no.

Try it, for many people it will work, but there's always the risk of problems (especially when you start mixing tweaks, mods, beta drivers etc etc) and that's something that you absolutely have to be aware of.

Most importantly, remember these kind of things are "at own risk"

-Dolph

Soldato
OP
I think there could be some issues on some systems but everyone I have talked to that has used the tweak has had no problems. I will keep my eye on things though (like usual).

So far BF2(apart from some lag - not related to the tweak) and EQ2, movies and mp3's all work fine.

Associate
Just tried this and ran FEAR MP Demo, seems to run a little smoother although was all ok before, have to trry on a few others like BF2 and FEAR SP Demo I guess to see if it has made any noticable difference.

Stu

Back
Top Bottom