My brothers school laptop

Soldato
Twelve? That's a lot of money on fans, but you've got damn good ones. I'm pleased to have made it back down to four fans from a peak of about ten, but your system is hotter than mine :)

Associate
yeah im hoping that with the mcube and the system idle i can make it quiet than this dam nine hundred i have at the moment. and hopefully my chip will be a good clocker im hoping for a 4.5Ghz OC, the coolings deffinately there so its down to the chip....fingers crossed

just waiting for some one to get bitspower 45 degree dual rotary bits in stock then i can actually start to build this thing :D

I managed to get past the bios password and Windows passwords and now installing Windows 7 RC. Hope the school teachers don't get too mad.

i honestly see no harm in what you're doing. ok it's against the rules, but you're learning new skills, which is the whole point of going to school. the school should recognise what you're doing and reward you imo, maybe let you spend a day with the i.t depertment or something.

Man of Honour
i honestly see no harm in what you're doing. ok it's against the rules, but you're learning new skills, which is the whole point of going to school. the school should recognise what you're doing and reward you imo, maybe let you spend a day with the i.t depertment or something.

His brothers not learning anything though ;)

Soldato
OP
lol Yeah it is HIS laptop too and there was only his domain and an ICT one (obviously). His friend changed his to admin before but they cought on and locked the new ones down. I'm going to copy his friends .bat files for the schools network. I have installed everything that was on it like OpenOffice etc. It was locked so bad he couldn't even use a LAN cable to use our home wired internet. I've told him to keep his mouth shut about it :D

We'll wait and see if he gets suspended. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Easily possible. Boot from an ubuntu cd or usb stick, image the drive onto another usb stick/hard drive/over a network.

I think this was a bad thing to do. The school wont be impressed and your brother will take the fall for it. The argument that you're learning is all well and good, but it should at least be your neck on the line.

Soldato
OP
I can't boot from anything with a locked bios. I am taking responsibility for this and life isn't worth living without taking risks. The worst that can happen is all my efforts are in vain and they install their image of XP back on. Btw Jon do you work nights, you seem to be up in the twilight hours all the time.

Soldato
OP
The school lock/passworded it. I had to bypass the Windows XP password first to install Asus's update bios program. I erased the bios and updated it with the latest one to reset it. In bypassing XP it resetted it all to factory defaults so no point backing it up.

If all fails I will give him my own laptop for school.

Associate
Man i never got a laptop in school:(

Is wrong though what he is doing, if he does not own it 100%.

Why doesn't the kids parents or yourself buy him a laptop:)

Soldato
Flashing to a new bios to deal with the password was cunning, credit to you for that. I don't like flashing from windows so wouldn't have thought of this.

However you don't have to rest windows to stock settings to remove a password. There's a cd called hirins which will do this along with many, many other things. No manual though. Failing that I think I found a 12mb iso which peacefully removes windows passwords when you boot from it. Of course if you had to reset things before flashing the bios this might not be an option.

Curious as to why you didn't take the hard drive out, image it using another computer, then put it back in?

Soldato
OP
Haha thanks :D The Asus update utility actually reboots to POST to install the bios, so not from Windows itself. To be honest I never really thought of imaging it (stupid). Also this 904 Laptop has different connections so can't really connect to image it. These laptops have been given out to over 200 year 7 pupils as a new learning scheme. I'm not sure if they repair/checkup on the laptops but if they do they're in for a suprise, and I'm in for a spanking! :eek: Find out on Monday hehe.

Last edited:
and I'm in for a spanking! :eek: Find out on Monday hehe.

unfortunately i think you will be, can't see other year 7 pupils not noticing your brothers is different and then keeping their mouth shut. best bet is to plead ignorance, say it wasn't working correctly so you restarted and followed a guide online to "fix" it, simple mistake wont happen again etc.

Back
Top Bottom