My cars LPG Conversion

Man of Honour
Kamerad said:
Why's that?
Fire / explosion hazzard I would guess. Though they are recently looking into doing a new risk assessment owing to the growing numbers of lpg vehicles about. I know that certainly the channel tunnel are currently re-evaluating their safety and security assessements for the use of LPG in the tunnel.

Fake: I'd be interested to hear how you get on over the next few months :)

Soldato
The_Dark_Side said:
read the signs at the tunnel entry points.
only caravans are allowed to carry LPG through a tunnel and even then only when it has been disconnected.

Aye but are allowed cooking stuff.

LPG

Vehicles fitted with LPG containers to power domestic services e.g. cooking, refrigeration, heating and water heaters are accepted as long as the containers are switched off, weigh no more than 47kg and are not more than 80% full. If your vehicle is fitted with such a container, you must declare this at Check-In. LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas) and dual powered vehicles (i.e. vehicles fitted with an LPG tank as an alternative fuel) cannot be accepted for transport by Eurotunnel.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just done a google

"Motorists considering travelling to France should be aware that Eurotunnel does not allow any LPG propelled vehicles on Channel Tunnel crossings. There are also restrictions in other tunnels in the UK and Europe for LPG vehicles.

Although the weight of particulates emitted from LPG is so much smaller than diesel, a recent study by the Harvard Centre for Risk Analysis has found that vehicles powered by LPG produce large amounts of ultra-fine exhaust particles. Such pollutants have been associated with breathing difficulties, lung cancer and heart attacks. The Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions is looking closely at this issue."

http://www.rac.co.uk/web/carcare/advice/costs/lpg;jsessionid=FCD5B93CAF3D12F6290037B1F473BEE5

Soldato
SB118 said:
He's right, a lot of people moved away from diesel to veg oil, so they adjusted the tax and added an additional 20p/l. Cheers gordon.

Government needs to get the money in from somewhere, just wait until they ban cigarettes outright, we are all going to suffer then :(

Fog

Edit: personally I think they should tax people who watch big brother and other "reality" tv ********, you could call it a stupidity tax :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
The_Dark_Side said:
read the signs at the tunnel entry points.
only caravans are allowed to carry LPG through a tunnel and even then only when it has been disconnected.

Iirc, safeway used to run gas converted Scania trucks, I've seen plenty of them in the Dartford Tunnel, and you cannot miss the gas tanks on the things!

Me confused. :confused:

U.K.Project Proves Concept The company developed the technology in a project with vehicle and engine manufacturer Scania UK. "They were responding to their customers in the U.K. that had an interest in low-emission natural gas trucks, but didn’t want to spend the high premium to purchase a new NGV," Gettel says. "To service this market Scania came up with an approach to supply re-engineered natural gas heavy-duty trucks based on three- or four-year-old diesel trucks coming in off lease."

IMPCO converted 200 of the trucks for Safeway, which operates them 450 to 600 miles a day hauling produce to grocery stores. Safeway’s testing indicates NOx emissions of around one gram per brake horsepower hour, meeting the stiff Euro V standard. The low emissions enabled Safeway to get a government grant covering 75 percent of the trucks’ differential cost. That combined with fuel cost savings of more than 40 percent allowed the fleet operator to recover the entire differential in less than one year. Safeway continues to operate the trucks, which typically travel more than 100,000 miles per year.
source

Associate
a freind has a metro 1.1 on lpg, 250 miles on 10 quid of lpg we were in fits of laughter hehe well worth the 500 quid to buy the car:p and there is a power loss on lpg from petrol but as said on a big engine you might nto notice, you do in the metro lol.

Associate
its the ultimate of tightness to get a 1.1 metro on gas isent it lmfao
eco warior my freind turned into he sold a 2l turbo nova for the metro and hes happy - power is not everything lol

Associate
Jonny69 said:
Karoshi, you're better off with the 3.9. The 3.5 is inefficient and low on power because the heads really strangle it, you'll enjoy the 3.9 a lot more.

aye, my father has a 3.5 carbed rangerover at the moment and it's a little restrained.. running one on gas might really show that up if gas does lower bhp slightly..

trouble is its kinda hard to find one of the older 2-door rovers with a 3.9 engine and they look so much nicer :)

Soldato
I'm actually quite an advocate of LPG, provided you buy a 2nd hand car with the conversion already fitted. I did that on a Honda I had a couple of years ago. It never works out quite as economical as you hope it will do, and it can be hard to reap back the initial installation costs in saved economy unless you do uber mileage. I realised that if I had bought the conversion myself, it would be likely that the car would be dead by the time I had broken even.

On a car that can do starship mileage like a BMW 7 or most Volvos it makes great sense, but i'd imagine on a smaller engined car it might be quite a risk.

Soldato
Actually, sounds like a really good idea, you'll soon get your money back on that if you do a fair bit of driving, if you do a lot then it wont be long at all! :)

Back
Top Bottom