My Complete Setup and Vintage Space

Associate
Hi all,

I decided to post a full setup shot with pictures of my collection. I'm a massive fan of collecting all sorts of gear, but mostly its old radios, telephones and cameras. I also love WWII Militara having use to be in a WWII Battle Re-enactment group where we portrayed 82 Airbourn 505th Division a few years ago. That is where the replica M1 Garand is left over from we use to use it for riffle drill.

Vintage Hifi is also another passion of mine and built my little corner up over the last 18 months or so. Although I've been into it for many years as well.

My gaming build is currently in the cabinet of the 1939 German Graetz Radio below my desk. I did that build getting on for two years ago now and its worked great.

its rocking an Asus Z370 gaming board, Intel i5 8400 series, GTX1060 Graphics card and 16GB DDR4 Memory

upload image on internet

Thanks for looking and sorry for the weird order of stuff.

cheers

Ryan

Last edited:
Soldato
There's some serious vintage kit in that room. Best bit of kit there is the JVC VHS-C camcorder (Circa mid 80's possibly the BTTF model?) & the TEAC Reel-to-Reel deck. Only concern I'd have about putting a modern PC in an old radio case is ventilation & airflow.

Associate
OP
There's some serious vintage kit in that room. Best bit of kit there is the JVC VHS-C camcorder (Circa mid 80's possibly the BTTF model?) & the TEAC Reel-to-Reel deck. Only concern I'd have about putting a modern PC in an old radio case is ventilation & airflow.

Nah in terms of specs and performance I think the best bits of kit would have to be my Sansui XR-Q7 turntable. Wow and flutter performance is 0.009 percent its also qurtz locked, direct drive and computer controlled. I was very fortunate to get given this TT for free from a builder friend. I spent just over £100 quid getting it back to a decent spec and good running order and now I have 1000 Euro TT for the cost of not much more than one of those awful Crosley Cruisers things.

This would then be closely Followed by my Sony TC-K333ESA Elevated Standard Cassette cassette deck. The Sony ES components could only be bought from Sony directly and where basically where they spared no expense and allowed their engineers to go wild. I got it for Christmas this year and even now after almost 30 years I spent £695 on it. Many sell for over a grand so I did get it a bit cheaper compared to other listings. Its a very rare model intended for the Japanese domestic market. I wanted a really decent “cream of the crop” cassette deck as I don’t really plan on upgrading to anymore unless i find a serious bargain lol. I also have around 300 tapes and on higher end gear they can sound really good, better than what most people imagine. Even I was shocked when I first started getting back in to tapes again in around 2013/2014, how great they sound on the good gear. So I thought I might as well just go all out and get something quite decent and well made.

The dream would be a Nakamichi Dragon Cassette deck, but the costs are crazy and way out of my budget at around £2500. Then you also have to regularly maintain them otherwise they can fall out of spec fairly easily. The Sony I felt was a good compromise.

My 1975 Marantz 2225 receiver is also fairly well regarded too I just love the styling. That was imported from Europe as they didn’t sell many of those in UK in the 70s.

in regards to the gamjng PC it actually runs cooler inside the radio than the original Corsair case I chose for it ironically. It has a 120mm fan where the speaker use to be behind the cloth grille a large cpu cooler and the back case cover has all lots of vent holes from when there was valves inside it. Its been like that for almost two years now and not had any issues at all.

Last edited:
Soldato
/\/\/\ Agreed on the Nakamichi. Arguably the best cassette deck ever made & they do hold their value.

For the Record, I used to be into Hifi quite seriously in my late teenage years but I couldn't afford most of the kit I wanted. Probably the best bit of I owned from new back then was a pair of Monitor Audio R352 speakers. The best match for it is & was an Audiolab 8000A integrated amp, I heard them both in a Hifi show many years ago & the MD of Monitor Audio at the time Mo Iqbal said the Audiolab was best suited for those speakers, I know because I asked him! Sadly I never saved up to buy one which is one of my hifi regrets to this day.

Dad has a much neglected Sansui AU919 & TU719 in the Garage which have seen better days but still work & are in serious need of a service. I know one day I'll have to make the decision to keep them both & get them serviced or put them on the auction site.

Back
Top Bottom