my computer keeps on freezing

Associate
i've had a pc for a little while now which i had built by overclockers. for some reason it keeps freezing whenever i try and play games, especially after a cold start. this happens with any type of game even if it shouldn't be demanding on the pc. it's also started to freeze if i'm editing video or rendering video and i have to do a hard reset.

i've tried various fixes such as lowering game settings, checking ram for issues, changing power settings and other things with no success.

complete list of pc components:

-Asus Maximus VIII Ranger Intel Z170 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
-Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Skylake) Socket LGA1151 Processor
-Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C15 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit
-OcUK 24x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black) - OEM
-Asus Xonar DGX 5.1 PCI-Express Sound Card with built in Headphone Amp
-Microsoft Windows 10 64-Bit DVD
-Corsair CX-M Series 650W 80 Plus Bronze Semi Modular Power Supply (CP-9020103-UK)
-Samsung 250GB 850 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 32 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive (MZ-75E250B/EU)
-Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming RGB 8192MB GDDR5X PCI-Express Graphics Card (GV-N1080G1 GAMING-8
-WD Blue 1TB 7200rpm SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD - OEM (WD10EZEX)
-Corsair Hydro H60 V2 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (CW-9060007-WW)

Soldato
First thing would be to check temps of CPU and GP when idle and under load. Look for a tool called HWMonitor and try to run it on a second monitor so you can see live output.
Andi.

Soldato
Just look at the temperatures of the cpu and gpu, particularly what the max is for each. Try running a simple program (web browser maybe) and see if either rise significantly.
Andi.

Soldato
Shouldn't have any problems playing any game with that set-up..

As Andicole0 said, you should check your Processor and Graphics card temperatures by downloading a free piece of software that reads sensors already built in to those components and displays it for you

Here are two i use

Speedfan
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=s...i65l3j69i60.1069j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

CAM
https://www.nzxt.com/camapp

Your idle temperatures (not running anything taxing i.e. games/rending etc) should be around:

CPU (processor) - 15c - 30c
GPU (graphics card) - 20c - 35c

Your load temperatures (playing a game or rending) given your cooling setup, should be around:

CPU (processor) - 30c - 60c
GPU (graphics card) - 50 - 70c

These are my idle and load temperatures (i have the same processor as you, but overclocked to 4.4ghz, and a weaker GPU)
Bear in mind, my PC is not "super clean" it could do with a bit of a dust!

Idle Left
Load Right

As you see:

Idle CPU = 28c
Load CPU = 52c

Idle GPU = 26c
Load GPU = 59c

It will be hard to find an application that has your CPU running at 100%, unless you are doing some heavy video encoding or something.

Capture.png
Capture2.png

This was running a basic graphical application.

If your temperatures look fine (within the ranges i said) then your problem is most likely one of two things, 1) a faulty component or 2) a software issue (normally solved by a clean windows reinstall)

I would rule out the options that require the least intervention for the time being, so do your temperature checks and report back :)

Associate
OP
i'm not sure if this helps you guys, but this was while the pc was idle, i will try and get another one with a game running but unable at the moment 8YGlH6t.jpg

Soldato
i'm not sure if this helps you guys, but this was while the pc was idle, i will try and get another one with a game running but unable at the moment

Your temperatures look just fine to me mate, I'd consider reinstalling windows before doing anything else drastic.

Associate
Those temps are fine for idling. See what you get under load, but I can't imagine it'll be anything unusual.

Tbh, I can't help thinking PSU.

How old's the PC? When did this problem start? Do you remember installing anything at around that time or any or problem happening at the same time?

Associate
OP
i did originally think it might of been the psu not being able to handle it, but then had seen similar builds with a similar amount of power.

the pc is 9 months old, haven't done anything to it like overclocking, haven't changed any of the components, i had it open yesterday and not a terrible amount of dust build up.

and it doesnt freeze if its just idle, i can watch youtube videos and social media just fine, but its only recently started to freeze when video editing which is odd because im not exactly working in 4k format with like 2 hour videos or anything so im not sure.

Associate
OP
i managed to get another screenshot while running the sims 3 with all the settings maxed out (only game on my pc at the moment) HvQslFh.jpg

Soldato
Temps look fine. Can you have a look in eventvwr and see if there are any fatal errors reported?
I would be surprised if it was a PSU problem unless it has an actual fault in which case it would start to get worse I think.
Andi.

Associate
Didn't mean the PSU not having enough power, I meant it being faulty. But Andi's made the point that if that was the case it should be getting worse. However, I had an issue with a faulty PSU and my experience wasn't dissimilar to what you've described: basically, when trying to play a fairly GPU-heavy game it would crash. Otherwise, it ran daily tasks without a problem.

If it's only 9 months old, aren't you covered by OCUK's warranty?

Soldato
That PSU is a perfectly good unit, given the specs of the PC you would hope for 80+ gold though.

I would genuinely rule out software issues before all else dude, reinstall windows and see where you get.

Back
Top Bottom