My DSL connection gets even worse..

Associate
Maybe try the Google DNS - 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Using these we can get a faster speed than when using BT's

If i was you I would log a line fault, we've had all sorts of problems with our line at work getting worse and worse and when we finally got an engineer out, he plugged in his computer thing and said 'The fault is 17m away from this socket!' .... stray wire touching our line in a junction box down the road :/

Associate
For better or worse BT Wholesale and experience with more than a single line. Where are you getting yours from?

So you work for BT Wholesale?

1. Repair of faults

Where a reported fault is found to be on an Openreach product or service which is under guarantee or is covered by a maintenance or rental agreement, Openreach will respond to repair the fault or replace the faulty equipment in accordance with the terms of the guarantee or agreement.

Time Related Charges apply where:
- Openreach carries out work at the customer/ end user request where this work is not covered under the terms of a service contract with Openreach or where standard Openreach charges are not available. (This includes product health checks)
- Openreach agrees to carry out work at specific times which are not covered within the terms of the guarantee or agreement contract (e.g. during the evening or on a Sunday when the customer has a standard maintenance agreement or earlier than within our standard time scales).
- The fault is found not to be with any Openreach service or equipment. In particular this covers the situation where no fault is found, or the fault is found to be on non-Openreach equipment, or is due to damage caused by someone at the customer's or end user’s premises, or due to theft, loss or removal of equipment, or in the case of customer or end user owned or rented equipment (but not Openreach's network) faults caused by external or environmental factors (eg lightning, electrical surges or floods).

Per call out plus 1 Hour TRC = £105 exc VAT

Man of Honour
OP
Getting back to the actual topic, you could ask Plusnet to ask Wholesale to reset your SNR margin back to the default 6dB. You'd probably find it was less stable (it's almost certainly been increased as a product of past instability) but it would be faster. The fun will be finding anyone with a clue.

I tried this a number of months ago on the advice of you guys. At first they point blank refused, they eventually gave in and claimed they'd requested it. I've no idea whether they did or not - certainly I noticed no change on my line.

Caporegime
So you work for BT Wholesale?

No.

[TW]Fox;16675106 said:
I tried this a number of months ago on the advice of you guys. At first they point blank refused, they eventually gave in and claimed they'd requested it. I've no idea whether they did or not - certainly I noticed no change on my line.

It should have been obvious whether it had happened or not - you'd lose sync and reconnect with an SNR margin at or around 6dB.

Associate
It is sad that some ISPs refuse to do this sort of thing. I have been on BT Access product in the past with other ISPs, and I had an option in my control panel for SNR, interleaving etc, so the support guys at Plusnet should have access to this.

Alternatively, some routers are able to set the target margin manually. DG834G with DGTeam firmware should be able to do this. Obviously as has already been stated, the lower you go, the higher the risk of instability, which will see your line re-syncing. To many re-syncs on the Access product in a short period will cause the system to lower your speed.

Associate
since i got regraded to 8Mb i've been monitoring my Att/SNR, its interesting to see the snr change overnight.

db-end-1d.png

Caporegime
It should still have been fairly obvious - unless it was extremely unstable you'd see a speed increase and if you're trying to deal with a fault you're probably watching the modem's stats too...

Soldato
DG834G V4 with the DGTeam firmware

Why not use this to change the snr in the Advanced ADSL settings on the router

At 15 default, try 50% that should see 7.5 when tweaked and a line speed increase.

Associate
Have you tried running something like routerstats to monitor sync speed, noise margin, attenuation to see if it gives any clues what might be going on?
It's possible that it's locally generated noise that's the problem - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm might be worth a read. My sky-supplied router (netgear 834GT) was being affected by mains-bourne interference from a faulty monitor power supply in the house. I eventually twigged (a real Doh! moment) when I spotted the correlation.

Man of Honour
OP
It should still have been fairly obvious - unless it was extremely unstable you'd see a speed increase and if you're trying to deal with a fault you're probably watching the modem's stats too...

In which case they simply never bothered. I'd expect nothing less from them :(

Man of Honour
OP
Right, I've set the D834GT back up (I had gone back to my Speedtouch ages ago incase it was the new router that caused the problem and never swapped back once it was apparent it wasnt).

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 896 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 63.5 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 17.3 db 9.0 db

Thats a HUGE noise margin, right?

Man of Honour
OP
Well, that was a disaster. Immediatly after I had posted that I set the noise margin to 50%. It reconnected and synced at 1400ish with a noise margin of 13.2db.

But I had NO connectivity. Nothing. Couldnt ping anything, couldnt use the net, nothing at all, on any machine on the network. So I set it back to 100%, it synced again at 900ish but still nothing, no connectivity. Rebooted it, still nothing. Powered down and back up, still nothing.

In the interests of experimentation though I did try setting the noise margin to 1% just to see what happened (And hey, it was broken anyway, couldnt get any worse?)

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1536 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 63.5 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 9.6 db 9.0 db

But that was that - nothing. No internet connection any more irrespective of settings.

So I've plugged the Speedtouch 580i back in and the internet now works perfectly again :confused:

It's now connected at 1120kbps with a downstream noise margin of 15db.

Man of Honour
OP
You missed the point.. I had no internet connection at all. Nothing. I can't sit with no internet for 5 days incase maybe it comes back :confused:

Associate
No, sorry. I mean leave it sat with a 15db noise margin (synced as you are now) for 5 days for the profile to be reset and you should be put on to a 6/7db noise margin.

I dont know why you had no internet at all though? Strange...

Man of Honour
OP
It's been sat on this noise margin for 4-5 months though and nothing has happened? I'm back now on the setup I have been on since everything went downhill in January.

Soldato
i have been following this and old threads you made.

unfortunately, it does sounds like you do have long unstable phone line. my friend have same line attenuation as yours, he cannot get more than 500kb connection. he had an engineer come out to check everything, no fault were found and he was charged.

not positive thing to say but you'll have to accept you do have long unstable line. nothing can fix it.

i suggest you sell 330i and move to city where you can get 24mb from bethere and drive toyota aygo :p

one thing i can say, on some lines, the noise margin does goes up and down for no reason!

Back
Top Bottom