My DSL connection gets even worse..

Associate
My friend also has an attenuation of 63 (yours is 63.5) and he syncs @1600 with a 7db noise margin with a ping of around 40. No bad seeing as he lives in Ugborough and is connected to the Ivybridge exchange!

You should be able to get a stable 2000 on that line, unless it has a fault?

Man of Honour
OP
Just run the BT speed test.

It has reported a download speed of 339kbps on an IP Profile of 500kbps.

This seems worse than useless. I might as well just use my mobile phone :(

Soldato
[TW]Fox;16690731 said:
But I had NO connectivity. Nothing. Couldnt ping anything, couldnt use the net, nothing at all, on any machine on the network. So I set it back to 100%, it synced again at 900ish but still nothing, no connectivity. Rebooted it, still nothing. Powered down and back up, still nothing.

In the interests of experimentation though I did try setting the noise margin to 1% just to see what happened (And hey, it was broken anyway, couldnt get any worse?)

Check the Basic settings tab and make sure that NAT is enabled at the bottom. When I flashed a Sky router it disabled this option after a reboot of the router strange as it has not done it since.

I run the router at a 1% SNR percentage and have a stable connection with no drop outs. I use this over a Cisco 801 as it can sync almost 2 meg higher.

Soldato
When my line was crap, I unpluged the router from the phone line and told the isp that my connection just didn't work at all, BT came out and spent a while testing pairs back to the exchange,
I went from a 2mb line to a 10mb line. the trick is to get BT out, when they are with you, they are very good at getting a good connection.

Soldato
I used to have a really long line. 63db att and about 1mb. One day we lose the phone line. BT went out and must have replaced something. att dropped to 55db and 3mb. Which is pretty good considering the distance and the SNR didn't fluctuate at all.

It is all about how much the SNR varies. Luckily I work for an ISP and phoned some dude high up at BT (don't wanna speak to India thanks) and had a "sticky" SNR profile set to 6db as it would occasionally go to 9db, killing my synch speed and give me 1mb.

If you report a fault to BT the first thing they will do is increase the SNR profile to 9db, 12db or 15db. Will probably be stable but very slow. They will also enable interleaving which if you haven't you should have on.

However depending on how fast it was within the initial 10 day training period the synch speed now might breach the FTR which is grounds for an engineer.

BT will sometimes argue the FTR is not correct or infeasible and try to retrain the line giving you a stupidly low FTR, if you stick to your guns they should do remedial work first. only once they have tried everything would I accept this.

Or of course if it still is disconnecting you can get an engineer out to have a look, they can switch the pairs on the D side, E side or drop cable etc and it might be better, however it could simply be the distance. (or the line card/port but I doubt it with those stats)

ADSL2+ can change synch rate without disconnecting but on such a long line it isn't a good idea.

Does 63db seem acceptable considering how far you are from the exchange or is it blatantly broken?

I work at Zen Internet btw, just migrate to us and I'll throw a few BT engineers at you. :D

Last edited:
Permabanned
[TW]Fox;16690731 said:
Well, that was a disaster. Immediatly after I had posted that I set the noise margin to 50%. It reconnected and synced at 1400ish with a noise margin of 13.2db.

But I had NO connectivity. Nothing. Couldnt ping anything, couldnt use the net, nothing at all, on any machine on the network. So I set it back to 100%, it synced again at 900ish but still nothing, no connectivity. Rebooted it, still nothing. Powered down and back up, still nothing.

In the interests of experimentation though I did try setting the noise margin to 1% just to see what happened (And hey, it was broken anyway, couldnt get any worse?)

But that was that - nothing. No internet connection any more irrespective of settings.

So I've plugged the Speedtouch 580i back in and the internet now works perfectly again :confused:

It's now connected at 1120kbps with a downstream noise margin of 15db. I assume you mean SNR margin here.

When you say no connectivity, how long are you waiting for? I have a DG834GT and when I sync to the exchange, it can take several more minutes sometimes for a connection to my ISP to be established. I don't know why, when my antiquated Voyager 205 could do it in seconds but there it is.

I have a line attenuation not much better than yours, around 57-59dB. (IIRC if I use ADSL2/2+ it is 63dB.)

I would resync at night when it is dark (after 10pm at the moment), because then it will sync at a more stable speed than if you connect during the day. Also use ADSL mode rather than ADSL2 or 2+ as this is better for a long line.

I sync at around 3.5Mb through choice - this is the best compromise of stability versus speed for my line. If I want I can tweak it down to over 5Mb by lowering the SNR margin percentage.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom