My experience with Linux

Man of Honour
I'm considering moving to linux full time as I find I no longer need to run windows for everything and I don't like the direction that Windows 8 is going. That's the great thing about Linux - choice.

I gave found Mint 13 Cinnamon to be excellent on an old laptop with ATI chipset (14 reportedly still has some issues) and it installed every driver automatically. I found that windows doesn't even achieve that.

I do love the power of Linux and managed to setup a headless Ubuntu server on my N40L without ever plugging in a screen and am using it as a NAS and FTP server. Linux is so flexible.

Soldato
Don't get me wrong, I am no Linux expert, but I have setup Ubuntu server (no gui) with mediawiki and also use it as a NAS. I am also reading several Ubuntu books and many websites to improve my understanding. People choose Ubuntu because it looks simple and is starting to be more like Windows/Mac OS without being Windows or OSX.

I believe Canonical are trying to make Ubuntu the user friendly Linux distro, which I think they need to do. We need a different options, and I think Windows, Mac OS and Ubuntu will be the best three for your average users, but Canonical still need to improve ease of use.

As you say though, maybe this will never happen.

Interesting !!

Friday, December 14, 2012: This year was great for Linux overall. Many new people embraced open source and Linux. According to Goldman Sachs, the market share of Linux has gone above Microsoft. The report also revealed that Microsoft has gone from 97 per cent share of computer market to 20 per cent while "the consumer compute market is led by Android at 42 percent share and Apple at 24 percent share." Along with Android, Google Chrome operating system based Chromebooks also helped in leveraging the reach of Linux to greater consumers. Also, Linux powered Amazon's Kindle HD tablet has helped in spreading awareness on Linux.

97% to 20%

Ouch

Obviously not installed userbase but if that's the way the market has gone then no wonder Microsoft is running scared !

http://news.efytimes.com/e1/96641/Heres-The-Success-Story-Of-Linux-In

Soldato
I run an AO522 with an AMD C-60 APU and Linux Mint 13.

To install the ATI drivers is nothing more than a couple of clicks.

To install the very latest beta ones, is a bit more involved, but it's still just a copy and paste job from the many guides online.

Back
Top Bottom