My Fiesta ST

Soldato
spaz said:
It isn't the most highly strung unit that's for sure, but it's only group 13 insurance which is the upside to it.

However it is also a pretty tunable engine, with an induction kit, manifold, full exhaust you can start seeing 190bhp+, a little more with a remap.

As with the saxo vts/106 gti, they are still very good cars and are similar performance wise to the fiesta, but you have to draw a line at some point as they aren't quite as refined and don't benefit from modern advances in safety and a few creature comforts.

Sounds like I am backed into a corner and justifying my purchase, but I love my car and everyone having the same needs/opinions would mean the world would be very boring indeed :).

190 BHP with IK, manifold and decat? erm no. :) Perhaps 160 - 170 at MOST. Its an NA engine afterall.

Soldato
spaz said:
As with the saxo vts/106 gti, they are still very good cars and are similar performance wise to the fiesta, but you have to draw a line at some point as they aren't quite as refined and don't benefit from modern advances in safety and a few creature comforts.

Creature comforts in the VTS/GTi are pretty minimal tbh, the ST is probably 5x better in a crash too.

Associate
Nathan said:
190 BHP with IK, manifold and decat? erm no. :) Perhaps 160 - 170 at MOST. Its an NA engine afterall.

Well I've pinched this from someone else:
dyno

With the follwing mods:
Blueflame Exhaust System and sports cat
Piper Manifold
BMC CDA Induction kit

Addmittedly the dyno may be out, but I've got no reason to dismiss the results.

Soldato
spaz said:
Well I've pinched this from someone else:
dyno

With the follwing mods:
Blueflame Exhaust System and sports cat
Piper Manifold
BMC CDA Induction kit

Addmittedly the dyno may be out, but I've got no reason to dismiss the results.

Look at the dyno, "chippeduk". lol, known to inflate BHP BIG time.

An example recently from GTI6 forums seen some get just a chip from these guys and on their dyno got 207 bhp. Went on another dyno, only 173 bhp. You can never expect those sort of gains on NA engine with just those mods, its not realistic to gain 40+bhp with bolt on after parts.

Associate
Nathan said:
Look at the dyno, "chippeduk". lol, known to inflate BHP BIG time.

An example recently from GTI6 forums seen some get just a chip from these guys and on their dyno got 207 bhp. Went on another dyno, only 173 bhp. You can never expect those sort of gains on NA engine with just those mods, its not realistic to gain 40+bhp with bolt on after parts.

Fair enough, like I said I'm just saying what I've seen, have yet to see it be disproved, but I don't know of every dyno in the country so unsure who has uncalibrated dynos. Not saying the engine is a firebreating monster, but not super-lame as it has been made out to be :)

Soldato
defo not superlame. It does its job well and for money is a fun car for young drivers and it looks the part :) Just your never going to get 190bhp from a few mods. On my GTI6 I ll be very lucky if I gain 10 bhp with exhaust ik and mani.

Soldato
Biohazard said:
thats pants. 150bhp from a modern day 2.0? Ha renault were doing that some 13 years ago

Wouldn't the power band and torque spread be a lot better though on the fiesta?

I really like the STs, I love the way my fiesta zetec drives, I wouldnt be surprised if I plumped for one of the STs when I get a new job.

Ford do an aftermarket Eibach spring kit which they will fit (dont know if you can do it to the ST or not) but surely that will keep warranty etc?

Soldato
THe 196bhp Fiesta ST which was on chippeduk's rollers also had a custom remap.

I know there is another ST with similar mods except he hasa custom bluefin and he's hitting 190+ as well.

The new Ford Duratec is one of the best engines made for quite a while from ford.

They are really tuneable

Man of Honour
Biohazard said:
Honestly that is pants, compair that power output to decade old renaults or modern 2.0 N/A Honda lumps..... rolf

It's not pants at all, it's a respectable output for a 2 litre engine. The modern 2.0 N/A Honda lumps you speak of are VTEC engined - a totally different power delivery which was perhaps deemed inappropropriate for the Fiesta.

In a world where most 2.5's develop between 170 and 200bhp, 150bhp from a 4 pot 2.0 isn't exactly shabby. There are few regular 2 litre 4 cylinder N/A engines around developing more power.

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
It's not pants at all, it's a respectable output for a 2 litre engine. The modern 2.0 N/A Honda lumps you speak of are VTEC engined - a totally different power delivery which was perhaps deemed inappropropriate for the Fiesta.

In a world where most 2.5's develop between 170 and 200bhp, 150bhp from a 4 pot 2.0 isn't exactly shabby. There are few regular 2 litre 4 cylinder N/A engines around developing more power.

Not forgetting that older engines didn't have tight emission guidelines and limits to stick to :)

Soldato
Very nice.

Re: comments on the power.... :o

More power is always possible, but this car was designed as it was, and power was probably kept down so that it didnt compete with other models in the ford range.

Power isnt everything, power can ruin the car.

Permabanned
Kappa said:
Wouldn't the power band and torque spread be a lot better though on the fiesta?

I really like the STs, I love the way my fiesta zetec drives, I wouldnt be surprised if I plumped for one of the STs when I get a new job.

Ford do an aftermarket Eibach spring kit which they will fit (dont know if you can do it to the ST or not) but surely that will keep warranty etc?

get me dyno figures for max rev then and I'll dig out williams graphs.

Torque on the williams matches the BHP. (F7R)

Associate
Milltek claimed its possible to gain 20bhp on these engine from and induction kit, full exhaust inc. manifold and i think sports cat. Thats pretty impressive really, but that lot probably wouldn't be too cheap.

Associate
Thats looking very nice and shiny:D I'm sure you'll love it, they are so much fun to drive and the handling is superb.

Any other Fiesta ST owners on here ?

I have one, Red with full white stripes, needs a wash at the minute though. Some of the guys from the Essex Meet saw it and seemed to liked it , although I didnt get to show anyone what it can do as I was still running it in.

Mark.

Soldato
Biohazard said:
Honestly that is pants, compair that power output to decade old renaults or modern 2.0 N/A Honda lumps..... rolf

BMW's current 4 cylinder 2 litre petrol unit also develops 150 bhp, so you'd better get in touch with them and let them know that their engineers are useless.

Back
Top Bottom