My Fiesta ST

Soldato
Nickg said:
very nice, but what is the relevance to CAI/header/Exhaust dyno numbers which are being punted about on here?...i reckon it will have had a lot of work done to it to run those kind of numbers reliably...
Definately had a lot of work done, we've had our 2lt Zetec at 240bhp (NA) and "Swung the cams" to get it down to 221 to get a nicer torque curve - but this was through a guy that builds engines for formula fords (had custom profile different intlet and exhaust cams etc.) He reckoned with work on the bottom end he could get another 40bhp (but its still very expensive.)
Here's a list of what powers Dunnel (the guys who build the 250bhp engine for westfield & made our manifold & silencer) can get out of the 2lt duratec.

Soldato
R220 said:
sorry mate theres no way in hell i beleive you will see a 40bhp gain from exhaust, air filter mods on an n/a. If you wave power plots at me i can only assume the rolling road is estimating too high.

As ChippedUK have a *** poor reputation for giving a decent results that kind of answers the question as to why you would think that though. Wheres the power at the wheels on their plots anyway thats kind of a bit more important than at the fly.

As for the 250bhp one im sure theres many more mods than a free flowing exhaust and air filter ;) Probly thousands spent on it.

I doubt 190bhp, but I have heard of a lot of 170+'s without chipping, dont know how true, Is it not just a de-tuned ST170 lump? I dont know that much about them, but I have heard the exhaust and manifold is very restrictive!

Associate
Oakesy2001uk said:
I doubt 190bhp, but I have heard of a lot of 170+'s without chipping, dont know how true, Is it not just a de-tuned ST170 lump? I dont know that much about them, but I have heard the exhaust and manifold is very restrictive!

170 is a bit more down to earth i guess. Still think a 20bhp increase is a bit optimistic for stage 1 mods on an n/a. I mean isnt the ST supposed to be a sporty model ? why would ford de-tune the engine so much.

Soldato
R220 said:
170 is a bit more down to earth i guess. Still think a 20bhp increase is a bit optimistic for stage 1 mods on an n/a. I mean isnt the ST supposed to be a sporty model ? why would ford de-tune the engine so much.

beacuse they realise that everyone that cant afford to isure a clio sport but wants a quick hot hatch that handles well, will buy it. if it was 180 bhp it would have to compete with the clio and it would fall into a higher insurance group.
Ford must have decided that they would make more money aiming at that market.
Unfortunately cars are not made for petrolheads, they are made to make money!

Associate
killz4thrills said:
Problem is its still a fester, and no amount of stripes is going to help that.

hey hey, no ones attacking the car here. It is a fiesta the same as a 182 is a clio but it doesnt mean to say its not a nice car.

Permabanned
Rover 220 Coupe Turbo, Mitsubishi L200 Trojan, and an Audi A4.

I wasnt attacking the car, I was saying what it is...

At the end of the day is a Fiesta...Theres no point in buying a car like this , and then spend £££ on it to get it to perform.... Why not just buy something that was meant to go fast to begin with..?

Last edited:
Soldato
killz4thrills said:
At the end of the day is a Fiesta...Theres no point in buying a car like this , and then spend £££ on it to get it to perform.... Why not just buy something that was meant to go fast to begin with..?

Maybe because that is what they want. :confused:

Caporegime
maybe because they dont want a clapped out old rover, and want a kinda sensible, yet sporty car... and then aftre a few months/year or so decide they just want that little bit extra and dont mind spending a couple of hundred quid on it?

i could understand if they were lookin atr a 1.6 90bhp lump, but its an entirely different kettle of fish...s

Soldato
killz4thrills said:

I wasnt attacking the car, I was saying what it is...

At the end of the day is a Fiesta...I dont understand these people that buy a little car like this that has no real performance, and then spend £££ on it geting more power.... Why not just buy something that was meant to go fast to begin with..?

Becuase cars like the fiesta are relatively cheap to buy and insure and are comfortable and practical as an everyday car with good reliability to boot.

The ST also has pretty good performance for what it is to be fair.

However I am in total agreement with you about then spending £££ modding which often involves some hefty insurance rises, specially with younger drivers. It is a false economy. guess its all down to people trying to be different and some people realy do enjoy modding their cars as a hoby/enthusiast.

Soldato
killz4thrills said:

Turbo charged biscuit tin and a penis extension. The A4 is ok though.

killz4thrills said:

Well that's a whole can o worms. But someone wanting a smart looking reasonably pokey car thats new or relatively new will want one. And if adding a few more ponies doesn't break the bank - there's no problem.

It's not like trying to mod a 70bhp Corsa is it? There's at least a reasonable starting block with the Fiesta....

Permabanned
merlin said:
Turbo charged biscuit tin and a penis extension. The A4 is ok though.

Well that's a whole can o worms. But someone wanting a smart looking reasonably pokey car thats new or relatively new will want one. And if adding a few more ponies doesn't break the bank - there's no problem.

It's not like trying to mod a 70bhp Corsa is it? There's at least a reasonable starting block with the Fiesta....

I would be most interested to know what you drive then, seeing as your opinoins are so clearly presented as to cause offence.

Would you like to elaborate as to how a rover is like a biscuit tin, and the Mitsi a penis extension? I may be in need of many things, but a penis extension is definately not one of them.

Back
Top Bottom