My first new monitor in 9 years, please help me pick one.

Associate
Hi All.

I've got a late 2017 Overclockers' Gladiator
Specs are as follows.
8700K @ 4.9GHz | Asus Strix Z370-F | 2x8GB Team Nighthawk RGB 3200 | Asus GTX 1070 |

Currently I'm running that set-up into a 2011 Asus 24" 1080p monitor - yes I know it's overkill for the monitor. I was bought a Samsung 32" 4K Curved monitor to replace it by my better half - but it arrived damaged, and after returning it, we never got around to replacing it.

So, having not actually had a new monitor in almost 9 years, and not even getting to try out the Samsung - I'm to put it mildly 'behind the times.'

Therefore I have questions, unfortunately, probably a lot of them - sorry.

1: Lets start with setup, I have an 'office desk' similar to this:

maple-curved-cant-left-hand-1612-dimensions-new.jpg

(Hope that image link's okay, I couldn't find a rule regarding imagehosts)

And currently I'm roughly 90cm from my monitor, which is positioned diagonally in the left-hand corner.

2: Budget:

I have £500 as a 'starting figure' which I could, if absolutely necessary, stretch to £750 - I wouldn't like to go beyond that, as 'the boss' may not be happy with me.

3: Size

I was working on getting 32" 16:9 and 4K resolution.

However, I've seen a lot of discussions on here about the advantages of 21:9 and 32:9 monitors - most of my gaming is strategy, such as Civ VI, not FPS - would I gain from going 'wider'?

4: Refresh Rate.

Honestly, on this one, I'm lost - I don't even know what my graphics card supports. The Nvidia site only says:
Maximum Digital Resolution
7680x4320@60Hz

5: Eye Care/Blue Light Reduction/Flicker-free?

What, what, and what - and do I need any of them?
I have what's best described as 'poor-eyesight' so anything the helps prevent it getting worse is probably a good thing?

6: Cables.

Presumably I need DisplayPort, and the cable will come with the monitor? - if not please advise what I should be looking for.

So yes, lots of questions, and hopefully, you can help me, at the very least, narrow down my choices.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom