*My great adventure* - "I think it's a good idea...

Soldato
... and I believe your story, so I will grant you the visa!" :D

Get in! Yesterday was a rather long and mentally draining day as we had to head down to London to visit the US embassy to try and get our B2 visa. Well we got it first time! Which means that our Pacific Crest Trail through hike 2012 is on!

Me and my wife are going to walk from Mexico to Canada, starting in April next year. It should take us just under 6 months to cover the 2650miles all being well. All self supported, with feet the only form of transport and a tent the main accomodation (I'm sure we won't be able to resist the pull of a bed and shower in the resupply towns).

pctmaphigh.jpg

It starts off right on the border with Mexico in the deserts of Southern California. It crosses the edge of the Mohave desert, and several mountains ranges.

sectiona2005.jpg

South California Desert in bloom.

110618brtoguffy005img24.jpg

Desert Mountain Ranges

110618brtoguffy007img24.jpg

Desert Mountain Ranges

Then 700 miles later it's up into the altitude of the high Sierras. Highest point will be Mount Whitney (Highest summit in the contiguous United States) at 14,505 feet.

dsc01449ef.jpg

High Sierra Mountains

800pxmountwhitney200303.jpg

Mount Whitney

This takes us to the top of California, where we cross into Oregon and the scenery changes again into Volcanic ranges, including the great crater lake and mount Shasta.

157086xcitefuncraterlak.jpg

Crater Lake

mountshasta1024x768.jpg

Mount Shasta

amazingpcttraversealong.jpg

Oregon trail.

The final state is then Washington with it's Cascade Mountain range, and most likely lots of rain and maybe some snow!

fury0006.jpg

Cascade Mountains

The trail ends just over the border in Canada. But our adventure doesn't stop there. We will hopefully return back to Canada a few weeks later with a Bunac visa for more fun...

Kit lists have nearly been finished and much of the kit tested. Visa has been sorted. Now just need to book flights, apply for through hiker permits, California fire permits etc. Can't wait to get started now! :D

Soldato
Yikes. That is some walk! Not my cup of tea at all but does sound pretty awesome.

What are you going to do about bears, mountain lions and such?

Soldato
Wow. Not even jealous... :(

I would love to do this, albeit on a mountain bike instead. I'm sure it will be an unforgettable trip. Enjoy!

Soldato
wow. what training and experience have you had for this kind of thing? this kind of distance and terrain will punish your body significantly.

Soldato
Please do this (and don't die in the process). The story will be epic, as I'm sure will be the photos.

I think walking ~5 hours a day will get a bit tiresome for a while at first, but once past the 'wall' so to speak, it'll become very enjoyable.

*extreme jealousy*

Soldato
OP
Yikes. That is some walk! Not my cup of tea at all but does sound pretty awesome.

What are you going to do about bears, mountain lions and such?

Try not to get eaten? :p For much of it we will rely on 'Bear Bagging' which involves hanging your food and smellies from a tree so curious animals can't get to it. In the Yosemite area though they are quite strict so all the food will have to live in a Bear canister. Other than that it is just using common sense. Make yourself heard when in areas with Bears, not camping where lots of other people have camped (animals get used to easy pickings) etc. I also have my trekking poles to act as a pointy stick!

wow. what training and experience have you had for this kind of thing? this kind of distance and terrain will punish your body significantly.

Not a huge amount admittedly. I was brought up in Norway by avid outdoors and mountaineering parents, so much of my childhood involved walking and camping etc.

But in recent years, me and my wife has really got into walking and camping ourselves. We regularly do 20-30 mile walk. We also did some wild camping in Norway in August and crossed the Cairngorms by foot/tent last week. To be honest thoug, when you read a lot of the blogs and books of people who have walked the PCT before, many of them have similar experience. There isn't really any other way to train for walking 20 miles a day, every day than walking 20 miles a day every day!

I have set out the itinerary so that we start off on ~15 mile day for the first few weeks before we start to adapt to the distance and weight etc. Then the distances should go up to 30+ miles per day.

Omg kudos to you.

Are you going to be stopping in towns and doing some sort of blog update?

Yeah, I will probably make a blog. I will have my smart phone with me to check weather reports, emails etc, so that can be used to update a blog whenever I am near civilisation. Main problem is battery power though, so it will have to be used sparingly.

Back
Top Bottom