My Log Burner...

Permabanned
nice! got a nice open fire here, will be burning a serious amount of coal over the holidays :)

lol at the blow torch whats wrong with kindling you girls

Soldato
My log burner :)

6beec1ae.jpg

Soldato
We got one fitted recently. Admittedly I was a little bit skeptical but it really does kick out SO much heat. So much better than central heating, nice to look at and we can boil water etc on top of it eventually as we always keep it on lowest else it seems to heat the room too much really. Totally recommend!

Soldato
Using the Rothenberger to light the fire. 30 seconds with this bad boy and were off :)

That's cheating! I enjoy setting up the kindling with a few small logs to get it going.

I use 3 sheets of news paper ripped in half and scrunched up (not too tightly) underneith the kindling, and leaving the door ajar for about 5mins.

Soldato
Just finished having it installed. Been using it for the last few days and it really kicks out some heat. It is a small 4KW burner. Wanted a contemporary look for the new build we live in and been really pleased with it so far. Was just a bare wall to start with and we had an electric fire on there for the last couple of years. Already had a class one chimney.

Where did you get that hearth from and what sort of price did it and the total build cost?

Soldato
Gave mine a bit of a tidy up last week and finally picked up a log basket. Need another one now.. :D (apologies for large picture, imgur not playing ball)

obafD.jpg

Here is a bit of a step by step of how it looked as it progressed (originally the fire place had a white gloss wooden surround with marbel everywhere):

B8kBn.jpg W1aeQ.jpg
lbdle.jpg PlwLQ.jpg

Permabanned
OP
Where did you get that hearth from and what sort of price did it and the total build cost?

Sourced myself.

Fire was £425, bought in Nov 2010, gone up a bit since http://www.vestastoves.co.uk/ was in the garage a year!
Hearth £425. Italian granite.
Oak beam £75
Fitting including brick work, flue lining, vermiculite etc. £1200.

Not bad as we were quoted nearly £4k from companies who do the whole package.

Last edited:
Tea Drinker
Don
2 questions for log burner conversions,

We have an open fire place, about the same size as the OP's, would like modernise it and use a log burner, however I have heard stories of damp chimneys where the new flue doesn't vent the chimney properly leading to damp and also size of logs, my log guy's logs are pretty long, what limits are there and do you have to order logs for log burners?

I'd like one as we get rid of a skip of timber each week from work, seems like a waste but it's mixed treated / painted so I can't burn in an open fire.

Permabanned
OP
I got my chimney lined and then vermiculite poured round. Cant see how damp would occur.

Logs are about 8 inch Max and they need to be very dry. No burning of wood that's been painted etc.

Back
Top Bottom