My Log Burner...

Soldato
Plasterboard added and plastered. Slate hearth installed.

20161217_145310.jpg

20161220_180536.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Installation day. Sweep chimney and fit kit. This took two guys two hours to do. No mess from the sweep and all signed off (Hetas)

20161225_123811.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Excellent. :) we have the same log burner and are really impressed with it.

Will your thermometer give you an accurate reading where it is? Ours is on the flue.

Soldato
Excellent. :) we have the same log burner and are really impressed with it.

Will your thermometer give you an accurate reading where it is? Ours is on the flue.

I love ours.

With the Clearview stoves you're supposed to put the thermometer on the stove. Ideally you're looking to get the stove up to 200 Degrees C before you close the wheel vent fully and use only the air wash system.

http://www.clearviewstoves.com/accessory-details/clearview-stove-thermometer

On the back of the packet it says you're looking for a temp around 260 Degrees C for optimal performance.

Soldato
I love ours.

With the Clearview stoves you're supposed to put the thermometer on the stove. Ideally you're looking to get the stove up to 200 Degrees C before you close the wheel vent fully and use only the air wash system.

http://www.clearviewstoves.com/accessory-details/clearview-stove-thermometer

On the back of the packet it says you're looking for a temp around 260 Degrees C for optimal performance.

The fitter who installed ours suggested it goes on the flue, as it's Thinner material I assume it heats up a lot quicker but it's always been fine.

Soldato
The fitter who installed ours suggested it goes on the flue, as it's Thinner material I assume it heats up a lot quicker but it's always been fine.

That's a common mistake with these stoves. I've spoken to Clearview directly and they recommend the placement I've mentioned. The idea is to get the flue hot quickly to establish a strong updraft then to throttle back the air so the heat isn't going straight up the flue.

I've measured the temp using an IR probe and having the thermometer on the pipe means you have to run he stove with too much air, so effectively wasting heat and burning though logs quicker than you need to.

Once mine is up to 250 degrees C I can almost close the air wash vent and maintain that temp for at least an hour per log.

For the record, our installer said the same thing about the stove pipe placement. The guy at Clearview laughed when I called to query it as it's so common.

Soldato
I'll try it your way and see how it goes. :)

It's not my way, it's the manufactures way :D

Will be interesting to see what difference it makes to you.

My method is to get a good kindling fire going with a small log, both vents fully open and the door cracked open. Give that 5 minutes and it's at 70*c with the fan spinning. Close the door and leave it for another 10 minutes. Temp should be around 150*C (ish) and the first log should be almost done so I add another larger log wait until that's burning then start to close the primary air wheel.

30 minutes in and you should be at well over 200*c with the air wash closed to just over a thumb nail. I leave it then an watch the temp rise to around 250*c which seems to be my sweet spot. Let the log burn down to red hot embers and throw in another log. Usually I don't have to touch the controls as the chamber is so hot it just fires up.

I've been measuring the flue temp and noticed that during the initial stage of warm up the flue is around 300*c+ but when I throttle back to get a long clean burn it lowers to 200ish.

Soldato
Very nice job that - I do miss my Clearviews but even the small one is too big for my opening - about inch and half gap each side. :(

I think Clearview have the best airwash system of all stoves out there.

Soldato
Had a Charnwood C5 fitted just before Christmas - was quite a big job actually what with knocking out the chimney breast, new lintel and re-routing gas pipes that ran under the concrete floor (had an old gas fireplace there before). Took a few days to do including plastering. No pics as yet because it's not fully painted up and the room is still waiting for a new floor and skirting!

Quite like the ceramic 'wood' beam too - looks like the real thing but the fact that you can put it anywhere is great.

So far, even though I've only used it a handful of times, I love it - the heat it kicks out is astonishing! And obviously, you know, fire.

Soldato
Another Clearview 400 owner here, thermometer on the stove and always has been, installer we used was a Clearview dealer so he taught me well!

What temp do you maintain during a burning session?

I've been testing between 220 and 280*c and find that 260*c is the sweet spot for great heat output and efficient log burning. Lower or higher and the logs don't last as long.

Soldato
What temp do you maintain during a burning session?

I've been testing between 220 and 280*c and find that 260*c is the sweet spot for great heat output and efficient log burning. Lower or higher and the logs don't last as long.

Ive had mine for a good few years now so don't look at the thermometer as much as I used to - anything 200-250 range is where i'm happy, will depend on what wood i'm burning more than anything.

Soldato
Ive had mine for a good few years now so don't look at the thermometer as much as I used to - anything 200-250 range is where i'm happy, will depend on what wood i'm burning more than anything.

Fair enough :)

I need to find a good hardwood supplier. I've been using the kiln dried nets from the local discount shop, which has been surprisingly good. Just softer wood so not something I want to use long term.

Soldato
After moving in the new house four weeks ago on Friday we had the log burner man round the following Monday for a quote :p

Couldn't wait to get this monstrosity out :o

OJA8pOs.jpg

Roll forward to today

The old surround smashed and skipped.

wGzfrb8.jpg

And my new enlarged opening - she's a big one :matron:

QOpbY7b.jpg

And with the essentials back in place

sdaeG2L.jpg

YWVBBND.jpg

Oak mantle, slate hearth, flue liner, log burner and wall skim all being done on Friday :)

Back
Top Bottom