My Log Burner...

Associate
Thanks!

I was looking at natural firelighters as we try to be as eco friendly as possible at home. I had found these online https://lektowoodfuels.co.uk/products/firelighters-natural-wood

The stove is an Arada Farringdon so a fairly new stove that should hopefully be good to get a fire going with.

The Rainforest site sell eco friendly firelighters - we find they're excellent in starting the fire.

We've had our stove for about 18 months - one thing we found out is we use to be sparing with the kindling when starting the fire. Don't, if it's particularly cold then there is a possbility that the cold air in the flue just pushes the smoke back out into the room instead of up the flue. So a decent amount of kindling should be used.

Soldato
If you use paper or similar at the bottom, plenty of kindling and then your log(s) there's absolutely no need for firelighters.

We conciously keep envelopes, scrap paper, loo / kitchen roll tubes and they are ideal.

Get the temperature up then use your companion set to break the log into embers and just sit a bigger log ontop and close the vents a little the flames will roll and the logs burn slower and hot.

If it is very cold then you can sit some paper or a sheet of newspaper on top of your logs and light that it will help to warm the cold air in the burner / flue.

Associate
We have the Firefox 8 Twin Door and a Firefox 5 which are the same manufacturer and they are great stoves. Was going to get ours from the same site but the installer quote about £20 more so was easier to let them get it and sort delivery etc and any problems if it arrived damaged.

Are you installing it yourself?

Soldato
If you use paper or similar at the bottom, plenty of kindling and then your log(s) there's absolutely no need for firelighters.

We conciously keep envelopes, scrap paper, loo / kitchen roll tubes and they are ideal.

Get the temperature up then use your companion set to break the log into embers and just sit a bigger log ontop and close the vents a little the flames will roll and the logs burn slower and hot.

If it is very cold then you can sit some paper or a sheet of newspaper on top of your logs and light that it will help to warm the cold air in the burner / flue.

Yep, never once had to use firelighters. Another tip is using the oil from pans when you wipe them out with a kitchen roll to clean them. Or left over fat from meals wrapped in paper/kitchen roll.

Soldato
@vanpeebles Thats good advice. It has the norm for us to save our pan oil, heat it and pour onto paper to burn in the stove.

Last year my wife started candle making and as an experiment we used used the old deep fat fryer oil added stearic acid to make wax and made candles from them. They were surprisingly good, didn’t smell of chip fat at oil. So I’m hoping to reach the point where we don’t need to throw away any oil at all.

edit:typo

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all,

We have a logburner in our living room which was fitted recently before we bought the house.

Its a freestanding one with a circular vent on the door, and a damper operated by a rod on the bottom of the unit.

The flue goes to a metal plate (registry plate?), with a small square plate presumably for sweeping or inspection, which is screwed shut.

We are looking to swap our dining and living room round which would mean moving the logburner to the dining room.

The dining room hearth has a similar arrangement (I believe they were saving to install a second burner in here), so a metal plate which currently has the centre hole rivetted shut with a plate.

I dont think any chimney is lined, but were swept before we moved in.

Before I go about swapping over, what is the concensus on the need to line the chimney if it is swept regularly?

I would get it done before we move the burner, and then I imagine its a case of swapping the current flue plate over to the new one.

Any advice please?

Back
Top Bottom