My Log Burner...

Associate
Going to look at a Clearview Pionner400 today - my current fave but Tracy hasn't seen it yet!

Have you looked at the stoves made by Jotul yet? Similar budget to clearview but slightly better imo. We used
http://www.ravenstoves.co.uk/ who are based at hinderclay, he has a shop at the rear of his house with the fires on display. He installed our fire for us (Jotul f3) and also laid the hearth and plastered the wall for us for free.
Did the fire, liner, hearth, plastered front, inside the fireplace and a wall to the side in a day. Charged £2250 which I was pleased with as fire was £1100. Other companies quotes were £2100 and £2300 and came with cheaper inferiour fires, one of the quotes was for a chinese made log burner :eek:

Soldato
Have you looked at the stoves made by Jotul yet? Similar budget to clearview but slightly better imo. We used
http://www.ravenstoves.co.uk/ who are based at hinderclay, he has a shop at the rear of his house with the fires on display. He installed our fire for us (Jotul f3) and also laid the hearth and plastered the wall for us for free.
Did the fire, liner, hearth, plastered front, inside the fireplace and a wall to the side in a day. Charged £2250 which I was pleased with as fire was £1100. Other companies quotes were £2100 and £2300 and came with cheaper inferiour fires, one of the quotes was for a chinese made log burner :eek:

I have, our bungalow is of no period and the Jotul stoves are more country cottage in style so not what I'm after really - i have heard good things about them, Clearview, Charnwood etc but thus far have has been the CLaerview!

Do you have a pic of yours installed?

Man of Honour
Lol Spit, sitting in shorts?? What stove are you going for Shimmyhill?

Still waiting to see an update from Goberpiles..

It's wrong to wear trousers round the house oh and socks.
Everyone should have a pair or two of house shorts.

I do like a log fire, do you have access to free logs or do you buy them?

Soldato
Some are "free" in the sense as a trade for PC repairs. I also go out with a mate where we both work for about 4 hours chain sawing dead tree's and splitting them. What we get normally lasts me about 5-6 weeks so not too bad (and we have permission from the owner to do this on the land).

Associate
I have, our bungalow is of no period and the Jotul stoves are more country cottage in style so not what I'm after really - i have heard good things about them, Clearview, Charnwood etc but thus far have has been the CLaerview!

Do you have a pic of yours installed?

Will post a pic tonight but beware its a workhorse and is treated as such. It only looks all pretty and tidy in the summer months.

Thought Jotul made all types of fires even the modern ones which wouldn't look out of place in a london flat. Kinda like an appliance sitting in the middle of the room with no clue as to what is does.

Anway we have a bungalow too, haven't used the central heating for 3 years (except for water) as we burn the fire 24/7 from oct-march. It'll stay alight easily for 10 hours and as long as there are 2 small embers the size of a 10p coin you can get a roaring fire going using large logs. No need for kindling.

Soldato
They do have some modern ones but thats not what we want, i like the look of the Jotul stoves but not for this place.

Clearview seen and its gonna be the one we get, chrome handles over brass.

Look forward to seeing the pic of yours, it should look like its being used as they are there to be used not admired and off ;)

Soldato
Tried to update last week but Imageshack was being silly.

Fire got fitted last Monday, had to burn it in for a few days, took this the other night, the cat enjoying the heat.

izzye.jpg

Painted the plaster and the surround in white last night, nearly done.

Permabanned
OP
Spit you have to clean your glass much?

Awesome fire :D

I clean mine with kitchen roll and windolene each time I use it. Takes seconds as it hardly deposits anything on the glass.

I have not had to clean the fire out yet despite using it about 30 times. Just leaves nothing behind, must be an effecient fire.

Associate
Before with fire removed:

dsc00017jr.jpg

Fireplace knocked out and new lintel put in:

image015a.jpg

Old hearth smashed out and leveled up with cement and ready for fire to be fitted:

dsc00028pd.jpg

Fire's in, plaster done and hearth tiles laid. Photo taken after final coat of sealant applied:

dsc00031o.jpg

image040gz.jpg

What it looks like this morning:

dsc0061z.jpg

Back
Top Bottom