My New 2005FPW (pics)

Associate
Hamish said:
I got my nice new Dell 2005FPW from OcUK today and its gourgeus! No Dead pixels or backlight leak and nice viewing anngles! Its sat next to me Hitachi 17" CML at the moment. It cost a bomb and it didnt even come with a power cable! how cheeky.

I paid £650 for the 24" Dell and i didnt get a power cable i sent them a webnote and they ment to be forwarding me one and not turnd up yet starting to get anoyed.

Soldato
the backlight bleed looks identical to mine, to all the guys saying you wouldnt stand for that - thats his camera making it look 100X worse - if he took a shot really quickly in stead of letting the light settle u *** get an idea of the real colour - its not that bad though really its a good monitor :D

Soldato
I Found the backlight bleed to be an issue, it is evident on very dark screens such as playing FS2004 night flights / X3 and I imagine other games such as Splinter Cell / Doom III. Certainly evedent enough for me to send it back and the 2 replacements which all had the problem. It's an inherant fault with these monitors which IMHO Dell should not continue selling, but if people are willing to accept it then they will keep supplying it.

My backlight issues

Last edited:
Soldato
Vegeta said:
the backlight bleed looks identical to mine, to all the guys saying you wouldnt stand for that - thats his camera making it look 100X worse - if he took a shot really quickly in stead of letting the light settle u *** get an idea of the real colour - its not that bad though really its a good monitor :D
His camera is affecting the image but not as you think. When you point your camera at a subject and half depress the shutter button the camera meters off the subject and works out the exposure.

Because of the way that cameras work it assumes that what it's pointed at is 18% grey, which is why the overall colour from that picture is grey and not black. You'd either need to underexpose by about 1 or 2 stops to get the screen being black and to see the true backlight bleed rather than a false reading.

However, you can still see that the panel isn't uniform even when not correctly exposed - you just need to look at the difference between the light and dark areas as this difference would still be the same amount if the screen was properly photographed.

Soldato
PieEater said:
I Found the backlight bleed to be an issue, it is evident on very dark screens such as playing FS2004 night flights / X3 and I imagine other games such as Splinter Cell / Doom III. Certainly evedent enough for me to send it back and the 2 replacements which all had the problem. It's an inherant fault with these monitors which IMHO Dell should not continue selling, but if people are willing to accept it then they will keep supplying it.

My backlight issues
Did Dell give you some grief m8?? :D

Soldato
Bony Maloney said:
Did Dell give you some grief m8?? :D
Well the very European sounding Mr Kurt Gilby of the Bangalore call centre who is supposidlythe manager of the Customer Relations team seems to have been given a rocket up the backside by the UK & Eire office over the way he has treated my case. However as far as I'm aware I am still having to go to court to force them to issue the refund they promised me back in November, the papers will be submitted on Wednesday if it hasn't been resolved by then. It took them 60 days to swapout the monitor and so far 30 days to issue the refund, during which time I've pretty much been treated with contempt especially by the above Mr Gilby.

Guess what - I'll never buy Dell again and I suggest no-one else does until they discover that the customer is important.

Back
Top Bottom