My New Car (belated thread)

Caporegime
Not a bad choice, not as quick or as well built, personally i would stick with the CTR, your looking at 9 - 10 for a good condition 04 plate 182 and 12 - 13k for a CTR, also consider the Honda will be worth much more come sale time.

Soldato
Firestar_3x said:
Not a bad choice, not as quick or as well built, personally i would stick with the CTR, your looking at 9 - 10 for a good condition 04 plate 182 and 12 - 13k for a CTR, also consider the Honda will be worth much more come sale time.

I'll concede the Honda is going to be better put together, however there's nothing in it whatsoever in terms of acceleration below 100mph. I'll also add that the 182 is supposedly the more "fun" car of the 2 - Evo mag certainly prefer it to the CTR.

Caporegime
The CTR was quicker round the 5th gear test track with Tiff driving i do belive, with so little price diff between a newer clio and a CTR its a no brainer really, if you are talking sub 7k money now thats a diff story.

Soldato
Firestar_3x said:
The CTR was quicker round the 5th gear test track with Tiff driving i do belive, with so little price diff between a newer clio and a CTR its a no brainer really, if you are talking sub 7k money now thats a diff story.

So little price difference? You're talking 3 grand here considering you can get a 182 for well under £9000! That's a significant price difference in my book, and most other peoples I'd have thought.

As for the CTR being quicker around a track, fair enough, it may have been. I bet it wasn't by much though, and that Tiff had more fun in the 182 ;)

Caporegime
We are talking same year etc, i'm not interested in comparing a 2002 Clio against a 2004 / 2005 CTR hows that fair, i might as well say erm well for 9k that you spent on a 182 i could have got a 3ltr supra twin turbo.

Yes its more of an initial investment but the Honda holds its value much better than the clio and come sale time you will get a good chuck of it back, so the price diff really aint that much.

Soldato
jonarob said:
What's the stick like being up there?

Easier, more difficult, no different?

I find it much easier :) hardly have to move a hand from the steering wheel.

toy_soldier said:
Whats fuel economy like on CTR's?

crap to put it politely. I get around 170-200 miles to a tank. Some people on the owners club have reported 350-400 but i think if your going to drive like granny everywhere, then why did you buy a CTR :confused:

Trojan said:
Clio 182 :)

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a better performing car than the CTR, but it's certainly on a par, and a lot cheaper.

you can get a facelift model CTR for around £11.5k now, thats amazingly cheap. and pre facelift from around £7.5k. pretty dam good value :)

Sanchez said:
Very nice. Certainly suited in black (the metallic grey is nice too). I'm sure you'll have loads of fun in it!!

I have the cosmic grey, and imo it looks just as nice as the black, easier to keep clean though :D

for the record, ive had mine 3-4 months and thinking of selling anyway. i just dont do enough mileage in it to warrent keeping it, i dont use the speed and work is only a stone's throw down the road, but i have loved every minuite of driving it - but it just doesnt make financial sense for me to keep it now.

Soldato
Firestar_3x said:
We are talking same year etc, i'm not interested in comparing a 2002 Clio against a 2004 / 2005 CTR hows that fair,

I am comparing the same year models, the 182 wasn't even out in 2002! You can pick up a 2004 182 for around £8500.

Firestar_3x said:
Yes its more of an initial investment but the Honda holds its value much better than the clio and come sale time you will get a good chuck of it back, so the price diff really aint that much.

How do you know it's going to hold it's value well? Given the fact that the new Civic has just come out I'd expect the value to drop quite sharpish over the next couple of years.

James_N said:
you can get a facelift model CTR for around £11.5k now, thats amazingly cheap. and pre facelift from around £7.5k. pretty dam good value :)

The cheapest on Autotrader at the moment is £8000 for a 2002 model with 89,000 miles on it. You can get a 2002 Clio 172 from £5300, again a £3000 premium for the Type-R. Don't get me wrong, I love how they look and I bet they are great to drive, but I couldn't justify paying 3 grand extra for a very similar performing car :)

Soldato
The 172/182 and CTR are similar in performance but worlds apart in quality. I considered a 172 a while back and whilst they're quick and handle well they're, well......French. They just have that distinctive French tinny feel to them whereas the Civic feels really solid and no matter what abuse you dish out it'll just shrug it off.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 172/182 (I am an ex 5GTT/16V Clio owner after all) but these type of cars beg you to drive them hard, I don't think I'd be confident that the Clio could handle it :( I think I'd rather pay the £3k premium just for that piece of mind (and the VTEC roar :D)

Associate
OP
I did test drive a 182 (non-cup etc.) before the CTR though the CTR was always no. 1 on my list.
I actually quite liked it, especially the automatic wipers :o
However of the two prefer the size, style(biggest point) & engine of the civic.

It came with a pipercross open cone induction air filter though I'm after a AEM CAI induction kit in the coming months. Incredible sound!

Soldato
Nice car mate :)

I remember speaking to you at MM2 and you said you were seriously considering it. From what I remember you were saying insurance is the main concern..because of the quotes you were getting considering you had some NCB.

Its worth it, if you can afford it...do it. Nice cars, proper drivers cars. I guess you see a lot of them on the road for a good reason.

I wanted to test drive one but couldn't so hoping to get a ride in one at a meet ;)

Back
Top Bottom