My new car.....yes, another one!

Soldato
penski said:
You do know that the Saab Turbo lump is a development of the Dolomite Sprint engine, yeah?

*n

Yup. :) But wasnt it another Triumph engine?

But really then really the Saab turbo engine isnt really a true Triumph engine anymore is it? I know thats being slightly anal there though. ;)

But no its got totally Triumph parts in it, and badged as Triumph also.

Edit - Thanks Lewis, thats the one, the 1850.

Soldato
OP
Oh, I left out these pics:

P1010057.jpg

P1010062.jpg

P1010065.jpg

P1010068.jpg

P1010061.jpg

Christ, did I not say it had a 160BHP 16 valve 2 litre SOHC, driving a four speed manual overdrive through the rear wheels?

Silly me!

It was FWD once. And a 1500. Once !

Last edited:
Soldato
Your memory is going in your old age. ;)

So yes Jez, i could only tell you the standard speed for it, not what this one can do though. A little different!

At stock it has 127bhp, 144lb/ft, 113mph and 0-60 in 8.2. But this engine isnt stock. ;)

Soldato
Lashout_UK said:
Oh, I left out these pics:

Christ, did I not say it had a 160BHP 16 valve 2 litre SOHC, driving a four speed manual overdrive through the rear wheels?

Silly me!

It was FWD once. And a 1500. Once !

What a dirty trick ;)

Thats more like it :cool:

Soldato
OP
Yup! Was going to go for 1000, could probably make loads more, but it's finding the right nutcase at the right time (no offense mr. nutcase :D)...

Bargaintastic, I'm sure you'll agree!

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I really should have guessed that you wouldnt have bought something as slow as those original specs :p

What sort of 0-60/100's are you looking at in its current form then? :)

Soldato
OP
Yea, s'probably about right - I was thinking mid-7's, seeing as stock Sprints were tested at between 7.8-8.2 seconds. Don't weigh much, that's for sure :p

It pulls from 3rd in idle....but I haven't had a chance to G-meter it yet, will post results when I do. You know when it hits the cam though!

Damn thing spits flame, pops and crackles like a rally car on over-run!

I'll stick up some vids tomorrow :cool:

Soldato
Beautiful looking car, congratulations! Always slow down and look when I drive past the brown one around here. Boy is it fast too :) The guy took me out and I dont know what he was doing with it.... but i thought this is quite quick and then...... well can only be described as :eek: :D :cool:

I've been meaning to ask him the spec on his as its far far from standard. You got to love that overdrive too ;)

Soldato
Trifid said:
Wasn't the first FWD car the Mini in 1959 IIRC(?)

Alvis were the first mass production car, in 1928, but the first popular mass produced front wheel drive car was the citroen traction avant, which is still a stunning looking car, launched in 1934..

:D

Soldato
OP
tr_1500_3.jpg

What it should look like..

P1010057.jpg

What it does :)

One thing I have considered - in my eyes, this is effectively what a 1971 Sprint prototype (135) would have looked like. Early shell, no detailing, just the powertrain - old interior too.

For some reason I find that quite cool in a retro way

Am quite tempted to badge it up as a 135

But no, the badges will be staying, 1500 POWAH!

(although am quite tempted by a 2000 badge on the back, same font and style, just to confuse the b*gg*ry out of everyone!)

First car I've had though that goes "POP-flame" from the exhaust :cool:

Oh, and they're twin 1.5" SU's - soon to be replaced with 2" SU's off a Jag. :p

Back
Top Bottom