My new favourite car of the moment.

Soldato
OP
Holy necro batman!

The S15 hasn't changed much and mostly gets ignored now. Took it to Anglesey and did some (poor) skids at Drift Matsuri.

Since then I took it to a trackday at Oulton couple of weeks ago. The monsoon like track conditions were a total drag, had the instructor out who showed me some good lines and wet technique, but it was hard work and my front brakes had a massive vibration. Inevitably, I got bored and drifted instead.
(Start @ 7:00)
The brake issues are a headache and I need to figure out what's going on before the car goes out again because it's basically undrivable. Cold = absolutely fine. Hot = massive vibration that shakes the whole chassis and holding onto the steering wheel is like jumping in the ring with Mike Tyson. Probably an issue with the discs, but it's weird that it has no vibration when cold, if they were warped it would shake all the time? Perhaps it's the pas material juddering, they are Project Mu pads though, rated for track use on sport tyres.

But yeah the new engine has been golden since it went in, the next major plan over the rest of the winter is to upgrade the turbo, fairly set on a GTX2867, should give similar (some say better) to stock response and around 380hp, be nice I reckon.
There is now a spring Drift Matsuri too at Rockingham in March, I want to have it ready for that.

Soldato
The brake issues are a headache and I need to figure out what's going on before the car goes out again because it's basically undrivable. Cold = absolutely fine. Hot = massive vibration that shakes the whole chassis and holding onto the steering wheel is like jumping in the ring with Mike Tyson. Probably an issue with the discs, but it's weird that it has no vibration when cold, if they were warped it would shake all the time?

When disks get beyond their minimum thickness they heat up unevenly and end up causing vibrations like you're noticing. Time to get the vernier's out.

Soldato
OP
There is no discernible wear on the discs, the whole setup was brand new less than a year ago. I appreciate the suggestions though, I will get the dial indicator on them and test for runout, I suspect the ebay discs are crap and I have to spend more on proper metal.

Don
When done correctly, these look awesome modified. 90% of the time they have insane widebody kids which ruin the look.

Very mean looking front end :D

-edit, yikes, old thread, was wondering why the images weren't working :p

Back
Top Bottom