My new motor, chip?

Caporegime
[TW]Fox said:
How exactly is downgrading from a nice 1.6 Focus to a horrid 2 year newer Corsa which probably involved you paying out a more more to buy it a 'cost saving excercise'?

It was a direct swap for his focus, cost him nothing. I suppose all he has lost is a decent cabin to be in, but gained the economy of 70MGP. I still wouldn't have done it mind, but well, i'm not Oakesy.

Man of Honour
paradigm said:
It was a direct swap for his focus, cost him nothing. I suppose all he has lost is a decent cabin to be in, but gained the economy of 70MGP. I still wouldn't have done it mind, but well, i'm not Oakesy.

Just seems like the sort of thing you'd only do if your car is viewed purely as a financial liability and a method of transport from A to B, not normally the mindset of somebody who tastefully modified a Focus.

Caporegime
Oh I totally agree, I wouldn't have swapped, mainly due to not wanting to be forced to use a corsa, but at least it hasn't cost him anything. Infact, were he to sell it now before the new shape corsa hits, then he will probably have made a bit of money.

Soldato
OP
itsalso worth more and will allow me to make between £500 and a grand selling the bits off the focus, my car also had some paintwork that needed doing, is coming up for and MOT and service, and 2 new 215/40/17 tyres and front disks/pads. Add in the fact that the corsa seems to be worth £500 to £1000 more, is still under warrenty and needs no MOT whilst I will own it, the insurance company sent me a £200 refund, does 70 MPG and it looks like a pretty good deal.
Even if I sold it now it would be a good deal, just going to use the 70mpg for as long as I can stand the slowness.

The focus was about 110bhp at the most (probably 100ish), so hardly set the tarmac on fire, but it did handle very well and looked great.

Also I did say it handled well, by this I meant it handles a lot better than I was expectin, very light steering, no feel but the grip aint too bad and there isnt much Roll.

Hope that clears up the decision to swap guys, dont worry, I will have something worthy of the OCUK motors forum soon! (like a mondeo :D )

Soldato
OP
no, just putting it off for a few months whilst I get rid of my finace to get a nicer faster car hobby also its saving me singinficantly more than £500!

Last edited:
Soldato
I have to say, while this isnt stricly on topic, a mate of mine has the new focus 1.6, and whilst i prefer the model before that, its a really nice place to be, and certainly handles good from what ive seen. Most people at work have the previous model focus 1.6 and they are really good cars.

I have also been in a corsa..1.2 petrol.....and...well i dunno what to say, it was truely DIRE to be polite.

Apart from very slight fuel saving, i cant see why anyone would downgrade like this.

Soldato
OP
has anyone read my last post? I havnt done it beacuse I like it, Ive done it becuase its worth more and my car was up for a load of bills. Im in the process of deciding what Car to get next anyway so seemed to good to turn down. 70mpg while i decide aint to be sniffed at, I wont be keeping it long and I was getting rid of the focus anyway! this is worth £800 more on trade in, I have checked!

Looking like an ITR, LCR, or the outside bet of an Mx5 with a turbo bolted to it, possibly a 328ci. There are decisions to be made and this will allow me to get a nicer car when I make the decision.

On a side note, I think were being a bit hard on the corsa, I dont no if the SXI+ is different to the rest of the corsa's but this one is ok, yes its slow but I expected that, the interior is basic, but not dire. Its not the base model and its not my leather clad focus, but its not bad.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not big on diesel engines, but if this were a petrol, I know that a chip will do only a few things. Alter the fueling, advance the ignition and increase the boost.

I'd of thought the biggest gains for this car would be increasing the boost. But you're best talking with the guys in the Corsa C club about any modifications as I have no idea what level is safe for a stock engine. However as this is a cost saving exercise, I'd be wanting to leave it as stock as possible. Even to the extent of putting covers over the seats and a steering wheel cover on whilst I'm driving it.

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
And how do you do that in a commonrail diesel car controlled by ECU...

.... chip ;)
As I said I have absolutely no idea about diesels turbos. Are they that different?

Can't you control it with a manual boost controller, or do they have an electronic actuator on the turbo?

Associate
Not worth chipping or remapping a Corsa. Is that small and hardly noticeable difference worth it? It will still be a 1.3CDTi. It is a car you want to get rid of sooner or later so save that £150-300 and use it as a small contribution to your newer, better car.

Soldato
OP
yea, I thinks thats what I will do, I think by the sounds of it it would make a decent difference, but as I'm getting rid of it anyway, there is little point, I'll just keep saving, hopefully the oakesy2001uk's new car thread will come round quick!

Back
Top Bottom