1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My p4 temps are hot..

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by epoxy5, 15 Jan 2006.

1. epoxy5

Gangster

Well under load (playing css with bots) my P4 Northwood 478 3.2ghz reach 76 degrees celcius and this is a little hot I reckon.

I have stock cooling and if case is approx 19 degrees it will reach those high temps.

So I am thinking of getting a better cooler, and would like you to recommend me one?

I would love that it would fit my Asus p4p 800e deluxe mobo, it doesn't need to be dead silent, performance is more important. Still a loooud cooler is not the best :)

Price is not a problem and it should be air - any ideas?

2. drunknmunky

Gangster

Either the Thermalright SI-120 + Akasa Amber 120

or

Zalman CNPS9500

3. epoxy5

Gangster

Thanks!

That Zalman looks nice, I can see that it supports most cpu types I reckon that means I could still use it, if I upgrade to an AMD X2 something?

I can see that the Fatal1ty version is more expensive, would it be better to buy that?

Anyways thanks for the suggestion!

4. epoxy5

Gangster

Ahh Fatal1ty seems mighty loud, I'll skip that one - thanks!

5. Mul

Wise Guy

wow 76*c for a northwood is way too high. My 3.0 Northwood never goes over 50 and thats with a little Aopen cooler in a cube case. I'd try reseating your HSF and clearing the dust out the fins first.

Mul

6. GuruJockStrap

Sgarrista

Thats way too high even for stock cooling. Is the heatsink applied properly? Is there a load of dust build up?

What are you using to read the temps?

My 3GHz Northwood is inside a cramped Shuttle case with a toasty 6800GT and my absolute maximum load temps hit around 60oC.

7. epoxy5

Gangster

Hehe Guru and Mul I was thinking the same and did remove the cooler just to see what was going on.

I can confirm that the heatsink was filled with dust and the thermal paste was so old that it was dry and cracked all over (nothing on the cpu tbh).

So I did a good cleaning and added some new paste, and voila it went from 76 degrees to 42, while playing CSS with a lot of bots :)

So I'll wait a little with a new cooler - but thanks for the input!