My PC to be more powerful than Xbox360?

Associate
I was just wondering if when I upgrade my graphics card to a GeForce 260 GTX, whether it will be more powerful in terms of graphics than an Xbox360 with an HD TV? :confused:

The rest of my rig details are below if you need to know. ;)

Associate
Seeing as the xbox has, effectively, a custom Graphics chip, that could prove a little difficult to answer.

I'm under the impression that the xbox has a triple core above 3GHz, but I'll have to look up the graphics situation.

EDIT:
I google'd 'xbox 360 specs' and got this:

A very helpful site with all the xbox specs on

This is the graphics part specifically:
Custom ATI Graphics Processor 500 MHz
10 MB embedded DRAM
48-way parallel floating-point dynamically-scheduled shader pipelines
Unified shader architecture
Polygon Performance 500 million triangles per second
Pixel Fill Rate 16 gigasamples per second fillrate using 4X MSAA
Shader Performance 48 billion shader operations per second
Memory 512 MB GDDR3 RAM
700 MHz DDR
Unified memory architecture

In comparison (My HD 4890, roughly equivalent to a GTX275):
ATi Graphics Processor 900 MHz
Pixel Fill Rate 14.4 GPixels/s
Memory 1024 MB GDDR5 RAM
(@1GHz)

Basically - the 360 is highly optimized to specific settings. Ever noticed how you can't change the MSAA or Filtering or anything else in-game? Or wondered why every game's graphics look almost identical? It's because a specific number of the various components (shader cores and what-have-you) can be made so as to keep costs down whilst getting acceptable performance. The lower levels of video-ram in the xbox are a prime example - it represents perfectly the limited resolutions that it's possible to play a 360 at. Non-HD, 480i/p, 720i/p or 1080i if I remember correctly. (1080i is actually a similar resolution to 720p. The limited power of the xbox is shown here because it cannot support 1080p (full HD) resolutions at acceptable frame rates).

In other words, most any new/post-2008 graphics card will be more powerful than an xbox-360, but if you tried to run an xbox 360 game to compare, the 360 would run it better because it is optimized better.
The two are barely comparable, as one is a completely custom chip and the neither can play the other's games without being hacked first. Which won't do any good for performance.

Hope this helps somewhat.

PS. In some new games (like Need For Speed: Shift, which is basically an xbox port) your CPU will limit frame rates, so this will affect whether your PC 'feels' better than an xbox. Oh, and that game is also game-pad orientated, so that will have an effect too.

Last edited:
Associate
i dont think anyone knows exactly when pc hardware gets more powerfull than the xbox, it does have a tri core processor allthough the third core is mostly used for background music and when you open up xbox live menus etc. your gfx card would deffinitly come close on your current rig (the 260 that is) once you get your quad core and 4gb ram it will deffinitly surpass the xbox 360.

Soldato
Most graphically intense multi-platform games play a bit better on the PS3 than on the 360, then we can say that the PS3 has a slightly faster graphics processor than the XBox 360 (this is all very approximate, you will see why in a second). The PS3's GPU is adapted from an Nvidia Geforce 7800GTX.

If you put a GTX 260 in your PC your system, it will be many times more powerful than an Xbox 360. However, bear in mind that even though a PS3/360 can display games in 1080p, it doesn't actually render them at 1080. Most modern console games are rendered at sub-720p and simply upscaled to 1080p. These machines don't have the graphical power to render games in 1080p and keep the framerates acceptable. The GTX260 however, will have no problem doing this - plus adding a bunch of awesome effects for good measure.

Associate
Out of curiosity why are you trying to compare a console's performance to a PC's performance?

I'd liken it to trying to compare a motorboat to a motorcar - they both have horsepower and top speeds but so much else is different.

Associate
***:
Out of curiosity why are you trying to compare a console's performance to a PC's performance?

I'd liken it to trying to compare a motorboat to a motorcar - they both have horsepower and top speeds but so much else is different.

Why is *** sensored?
I was under the impression it stood for 'Quoted For/From Truth'.

Last edited:
Associate
lol the original xbox was more than twice as powerful as my first pc...anyways i'd say the 260gtx is more than 5 times more powerful than the 360

Back
Top Bottom