My PSU just exploded... Advice on quiet efficient PSUs please!

Soldato
My Enermax Modu82+ just exploded on me after a whole years service. I now need a new PSU very quickly.

Here's what i need:
- Quiet (VERY important)
- Efficient
- Ideally modular (so i can remove the cables i dont need)

Thanks

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Seasonic are reportedly the best PSUs you can get, I've certainly never heard of one failing ever, however you do seem to pay a hefty premium for them. Corsair are probably one of the most common PSU manufacturers used by the "computer enthusiast" market so you'd probably be safe sticking to one of them :D

Caporegime
if you want the best then the seasonic x range the fan wont even spin if the psu is pulling less than 200watt. an i7-965 system wont even pull 200watt when idle

Last edited:
Soldato
Everytime i had a psu blow out 9 times out of 10 it took the motherboard with it :/ (550w hiper was the last one to die)

On topic: Corsair / Seasonic and Tagen's seem to be the best types to get, though the new XFX one looks good :)

Soldato
Everytime i had a psu blow out 9 times out of 10 it took the motherboard with it :/ (550w hiper was the last one to die)

Just curious as to how many PSUs you've had blow on you to be able to come up with this statement? 9 out of 10 times :eek:

I change psu's on a daily basis, and they rarely take out the mainboard. And I'm not talking about expensive Seasonics or Corsairs either, they're mainly cheap FSPs.

Caporegime
Corsair HXs are Seasonics. TXs are Channel Well. Both good series. Not sure who does the CX and VX though, probably one of the 2 though, most likely seasonic aswell.

not all of them are.
The breakdown is this:
SeaSonic:
CX400W
VX450W
TX650W
HX450W
HX520W
HX620W
HX650W

CWT:
VX550W
TX750W
TX850W
TX950W
HX750W
HX850W
HX1000W

Or in short, SeaSonic makes everything up to 650W except for the VX550W, and CWT makes everything 750W and up, plus the VX550W.

Associate
not all of them are.
The breakdown is this:
SeaSonic:
CX400W
VX450W
TX650W
HX450W
HX520W
HX620W
HX650W

CWT:
VX550W
TX750W
TX850W
TX950W
HX750W
HX850W
HX1000W

Or in short, SeaSonic makes everything up to 650W except for the VX550W, and CWT makes everything 750W and up, plus the VX550W.

I stand corrected. I was sure I read that somewhere from Corsairs PR blurb when they updated one of the series though. And I was also sure that the HX850 review I read on JonnyGurur was CWT made, so thanks for the clear up. ;)

To contribute to the topic, I'd go Corsair too. I have the TX950 (after JGs review), and love it. Plus it's quieter than my BeQuiet! PSU was...:confused:

Associate
Enermax warranty, last I checked, is 3-years. So OP should contact them for a RMA.

And a poor RMA they have from my experience.

Bought a Noisetaker quite a whileback now, fitted into PC nicely, all working well.

All of a sudden, BANG!! and a huge mushroom wafting up into my cieling as i sat they still recovering from the scare(luckily it took nothing else out). Sent it back and got a replacement of which the fan was not working. Contacted Enermax directly, of which support simply could not get their head around it, spent 3 days emailing back and fourth asking me to carry out all sorts of tests, to which i finally lost my temper advising them i bought a new PSU so i could game, and not have to stats crunch to the manufacturer, in the end they asked for it to be sent back. I did with a note advising not to bother sending me another one.

OCUK were very good with the return themselves, but the guys at Enermax didn't meet my expectations of good customer service.

End result....bought a Corsair HX620 - best thing i ever did,

Back
Top Bottom