My Review Of The Viewsonic VX912

wsh

wsh

Associate
I have a 912 too.

I dont have a dark patch at the top left.

Colours are very good but the viewing angle is poor IMO. I am used to a TFT with 165 degrees though.

The stand is a little too high on my desk. I am looking at alternative mountings ATM.

I would recommend it though. A very good monitor. (I have been using a 14" packard bell CRT for a year waiting for a monitor like this to come out!)

7361vx912-med.jpg

SUPERSIZE PICTURE

Soldato
Originally posted by wsh
I have a 912 too.

I dont have a dark patch at the top left.

Colours are very good but the viewing angle is poor IMO. I am used to a TFT with 165 degrees though.

The stand is a little too high on my desk. I am looking at alternative mountings ATM.

I would recommend it though. A very good monitor. (I have been using a 14" packard bell CRT for a year waiting for a monitor like this to come out!)

7361vx912-med.jpg

SUPERSIZE PICTURE

Not a patch dude, its more like a gradual effect.

If you select the standard classic windows xp theme with the blue background, and stick a few icons in the top left corner in a single file (like Ken said)... you will notice that its slightly darker (turn off the lights in the room if you cant see it heh).

I also agree on the viewing angle aspect, also, what colour and brightness/contrast levels you guys running?

Man of Honour
some nice new pictures there Ken :)

regarding colour wahsing out.....have you tried perhaps fiddling with the contrast and brightness settings a bit (i assume you have!).......also you could go into the graphics card settings and up the "digital vibrance" which can make the colours better on a lot of TFT's

wsh

wsh

Associate
Originally posted by Cavallino
Not a patch dude, its more like a gradual effect.

If you select the standard classic windows xp theme with the blue background, and stick a few icons in the top left corner in a single file (like Ken said)... you will notice that its slightly darker (turn off the lights in the room if you cant see it heh).

I see it now when comparing the top left to the top right, about 1.5cm across and 5cm down of maybe 10-15% darker. Its such a small thing I wouldn't let it put off potential buyers though.

Associate
i have a VX912 as well very pleased with it apart from the eye strain and headaches i'm getting with it but i only get them when i'm useing windows ... playing games mainly NFSU2 or watching the screen saver i get no probs with my eyes hurting or headaches i've tried both 60 and 70Hz settings been messing with the brightness since i've had it and ideas .....

Soldato
Originally posted by wsh
I see it now when comparing the top left to the top right, about 1.5cm across and 5cm down of maybe 10-15% darker. Its such a small thing I wouldn't let it put off potential buyers though.

Yea agreed.

Thing is.. why is it there?

Also Necroscope,

I have the same problem... well... eye strain at least, but I think I tinkered with the colour settings so theyre a bit easier on the eyes.

VoG

VoG

Soldato
well guys you did a great job of talking me into buying one, then with all the talk of washed out colours/dark patches/eye strain, an even better job of putting me off. :p

Ken

Ken

Associate
OP
OK, just a little update from me after a few days of usage.

The only problem with mine is the darker patch in the top left (about 4 icons in size). I shouldn't call it a patch as it is a gradual effect as you look towards the top left corner of the screen. I must stress this is a very minor issue - I don't notice it unless I try to look for it.

All other aspects I'm very impressed with. I have no washed out colours either. I guess there are other aspects that are part of the "luck of the draw" - not just dead/lazy pixels.

Regarding eye strain/headaches. I haven't experienced any yet but I don't remember when I had my last headache so I guess some of you are more sensitive to CRTs/TFTs in general. I thought the 6500K setting was a little too bright at first so I started using 5400K but I seem to prefer the default 6500K now. All settings on default actually.

Soldato
Originally posted by Ken
OK, just a little update from me after a few days of usage.

The only problem with mine is the darker patch in the top left (about 4 icons in size). I shouldn't call it a patch as it is a gradual effect as you look towards the top left corner of the screen. I must stress this is a very minor issue - I don't notice it unless I try to look for it.

All other aspects I'm very impressed with. I have no washed out colours either. I guess there are other aspects that are part of the "luck of the draw" - not just dead/lazy pixels.

Regarding eye strain/headaches. I haven't experienced any yet but I don't remember when I had my last headache so I guess some of you are more sensitive to CRTs/TFTs in general. I thought the 6500K setting was a little too bright at first so I started using 5400K but I seem to prefer the default 6500K now. All settings on default actually.

Yea that patch is on mine too... dont know if its a design flaw or one or two off.

A little annoying... dont know what to do really...

Ken

Ken

Associate
OP
Thanks Mana. :)

I plan to add more to it in terms of gaming and movie performance but right now I don't have the time or the spec to do so. :(

Ken

Ken

Associate
OP
Hi everyone,

Could owners of this TFT post their views on video playback quality and games please. Still trying to save up for much needed upgrades so I can play newer games and my DVD drive is broke so can't really update this thread yet.

I've noticed that video playback whether it's a DVD, .avi, .mpg etc is not as good as my Mitsubishi CRT. My comment on videos/DVDs looking more pixelated in my original post could be due to the fact I've gone from a 17 inch to a 19 inch with no change of resolution - I'm not sure. And generally, video playback is darker but I think this is problem common to all TFTs.

Soldato
If you want a TFT with superb colour reproduction (and don't mind a glossy finish) then the Sony SDM-HS94P X-black 19" LCD Monitor is the one to get

I have the ViewSonic VG910b and the backlighting is perfectly uniform across the whole screen on various settings of brightness/contrast

There is no bleading into the white text anywhere on the screen, and the focus is dead sharp over the whole screen

The only issue with my ViewSonic is the 25ms response time leading to noticable ghosting in games :(

Associate
I noticed mouse lag when gaming on fps, it was only slight but enough to ruin my game. So i sent the monitor back, and royal mail have cocked up it seems and lost it :(

Associate
Ken said:
Hi everyone,

Could owners of this TFT post their views on video playback quality and games please. Still trying to save up for much needed upgrades so I can play newer games and my DVD drive is broke so can't really update this thread yet.
I've just bought this monitor - excellent service, OcUK! (ordered late on Thursday, arrived first thing on monday) - and am delighted with it so far. No dead pixels, no strange dark areas, RGB and DVI cables in the box... It's about the fourth or fifth TFT I've owned - though all the previous ones have been 15" TFTs - and it's replacing a fantastic Sun/Sony 21" CRT monster (which was utterly superb when it worked, but in recent months was starting to flicker at random intervals). This TFT is very nearly as big in screen size terms, and I'm bowled over by the clarity and lack of lag. I've played a number of games on it - UT2004, HL2, WoW - and it's taken everything my FX 5900XT can throw at it (at 1280 x 1024 over DVI with almost every bit of eye candy switched on).

The Windows XP desktop looks superb - the whole display seems rock solid. Perhaps it misses a smidge of warmth compared to a good CRT, but when you factor in its lack of physical bulk, and its bang-on geometry, I think the pros outweigh the cons. As for DVD playback, it's perhaps just a touch grainy, but it's absolutely watchable and you'd have to be quite picky to make too much of that.

The drivers took a bit of installing, and the instructions are less than clear (i.e. I had to check on the Web to work out how you use the tilt/pivot function, namely removing the top of the two covers on the back and slackening off the bolts a little with a spanner!). Also, until I saw pictures on this site, I didn't realise you could tuck the wires down into the lower part of the stand as well. Anyway, that's all done now. It's everything I want from a TFT - no expensive 'extras' (like USB hubs), just superb image quality (though I should point out I don't know how it racks up in terms of colour fidelity, etc. - I'm just a writer who likes playing games!). It would be nice to have some height adjustment, but that's the only real criticism I can make of this screen.

Hope these comments may be of use to someone considering this monitor.

Best wishes

Martin

Man of Honour
welcome to the forums Martin :)

glad to hear you have found the VX912 an excellent TFT. It is certainly a very good model, and at an excellent price too :D i've added your comments to the TFT sticky too, as im sure they will be helpful for ppl in the future

Back
Top Bottom