My shed of a 1978 Ford F-150

Soldato
OP
I didn't realize that LPG was used for vehicles in Mexico, how does the price compare to gasoline?

It’s mostly used for trucks and taxis - for some reason most non commercial vehicles don’t seem to use it. It alternates between around 1/3 and 1/2 of the price of gasoline. It’s currently at 7 pesos per litre whereas gasoline is at 19. There’s loads of filling stations and I haven’t found any real disadvantages of using it so far.

Soldato
OP
Another update.

Decided to go to an area with a lot of junkyards in the hope of finding the seatbelt connectors. It drove really well on the way there, so much so that I decided to give it a bit of power and pass a load of cars at about 80. This proved not to be a great idea - the section of road that feels perfectly fine in a normal car is quite bumpy in this truck, and three of my wheel studs decided they didn’t want to be part of the car anymore. I heard a ping as I passed the final car, and the steering wheel started shaking an awful lot. Pulled over to find this

RMQwrG4c.jpg

I suspect the previous garage torqued them too tight, and that combined with the age of the truck and the bumps resulted in the failure. I managed to get it off the highway and to the nearest garage, who, knowing that I wasn’t able to go anywhere else, proceeded to rip me off. Still only the equivalent of about £50 in the end, so not the end of the world, but I could have got it done at my local place for less than half of that.

Anyway, I eventually made it to the junkyard, and found a full set of seat belt buckles, including the middle seat lap belt for £4. They were however covered in oil, and the fabric had been cut. This is how they looked when I picked them up.

5jtU9Ass.jpg

And this is how they look now after a bit of a clean.

QbGBCf3z.jpg

I’m taking them today to a seatbelt repair place, who will put all new fabric in them for £8. Probably a good idea anyway, considering the age of them.

I also started looking around at dash repair places. Most wanted about £120 to repair the dash top, which was a bit more than I wanted to pay considering it’s going to be used for work and I don’t need it to be perfect. Found a guy who did it for £40, which sounded much better.

This is how it looked before

M97TzFt6.jpg

yN1M6dZf.jpg

And this is how it looks now

UPJt8NmC.jpg

GpRkX6fZ.jpg

Good enough, I think.

I decided to have a go at sorting out the headlining, using some old fabric I had lying around. Again, this is definitely not a perfect job, but it didn’t cost me anything and I think it’s a decent improvement.

Before

kcW6GMFh.jpg

After

eeNA4VFL.jpg

I’ll be sure to report back if it falls on my head.

That’s all for now - I’ll be bolting the refurbed seatbelts in towards the end of this week, and when I can find a decent, cheap stereo I’ll be installing that as well. Still very much enjoying driving around in it.

Soldato
OP
It needs a cut up stripey blanket on top of the dash as a protector from the sun.

It will spend most of it's life sitting in the shade, but I might put one on there anyway for maximum redneck. I already removed the rabbit's foot hanging from the rear view mirror as that was going one step too far.

Soldato
Had to look up his name - Danny Trejo - the archetype Mexican in movies Machete/desperado .. what would he have hanging from the rear view mirror.

Is the cloth upholstery original, or would it have been thigh burning vinyl ? I've only been as far south as texas which was bad enough.

Soldato
OP
Had to look up his name - Danny Trejo - the archetype Mexican in movies Machete/desperado .. what would he have hanging from the rear view mirror.

Is the cloth upholstery original, or would it have been thigh burning vinyl ? I've only been as far south as texas which was bad enough.

I’d have thought vinyl but can’t say for sure. I had leather seats in my Range Rover which were fine even when left in hot sun all day, although the tinted windows might have helped with that. Don’t have any plans to change the current seats as they’re not too terrible and will probably get damaged anyway.

Soldato
had to look
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1419454-78-ford-truck-brochure.html

https://www.blueovaltech.com/history/1978-ford-trucks.php
Ford also offered a complete, factory-installed CB radio for '78. The AM radio received a digital display with clock. Also now available was an illuminated vanity mirror with high/low adjustment, and an optional tilt steering wheel

In addition, 4-wheel-drive is made available on the SuperCab pickup. And, the Free Wheeling Sytside Package "B" included yellow painted styled steel 15" wheels. There were new 10-hole forged aluminum wheels as an option.

A top-of-the-line luxury trim level, the "Ranger Lariat" was also introduced. The trim level was the "new luxury leader of the line", and included deluxe two-tone paint, side cowl carpeting, door map pockets, extra insulation on the color-keyed vinyl headliner, "smart Picton cloth seat upholstery trimmed with super-soft vinyl", special Lariat emblems, and black tailgate applique. The Lariat name would continue to be used for decades on F-Series trucks.

did you say if it the v8 (7.5L 220bhp) or v6 ?

Back
Top Bottom