My shed of a 1978 Ford F-150

Soldato
OP
As it's a truck, I suspect it'd have come with a cloth bench, maybe vinyl but more likely cloth but it looks to have cloth bolstered car seats in it now? :D

I believe they’re from an early 90s Silverado :p

I love how you seem to be able to locate someone locally to fix just about anything and for peanuts :D

Facebook Marketplace is a wonderful thing - I’ve been to all kinds of places I never even knew existed. Got a Sony head unit with aux last night for £8 on my way back from work.

It's more than likely a 302 or possibly a 351, I doubt it's the 460.

It is indeed the 302. My very drunk neighbour was telling me last night that I should put a 460 in there, but the 302 is original and is powerful enough for the basic use I’ll need it for.

Soldato
302's fine ... compared to newer turbo'd car's ( and trucks ?), there's no replacement for displacement,
maybe ev's are reintroducing the wall of torque - and reliability too.

Soldato
OP
A bit of an update....

Haven't had much of a chance to work on the truck, but it's had a new starter motor and battery (the previous one was recent but seemed to be struggling). Truck starts a lot better now. I also fitted the seatbelts, plus four Sony speakers and stereo which sound surprisingly good, considering they were purchased in my usual manner (cheap from a dodgy area on Facebook Marketplace) :p

I'm going to be dropping it off at the bodyshop either this week or next week, and I'm still totally undecided about what colour to paint it. It was originally dark green, which is normally one of my favourite colours, but I'm not sure how good it would look on this truck. I could have course repaint it in the current blue colour, or go for something different entirely. It's never going to be worth a fortune, and this won't be a concours job, so I'm not too worried about preserving originality. Any ideas or suggestions? Searching #dentside on Instagram produces loads of examples of these trucks in a variety of different colours, but I'm being incredibly indecisive.

Caporegime
Two tone definitely.

Orangey Hemi red and black...

Or two different shades of metallic gray...

Or black and a dark metallic gray...

Or cherry red and off-white...

Or a mid metallic blue and a mid metallic gray...

Or metallic deep green and gloss seafoam green...

I dont care as long as its two-tone! :D

Do some googlin' of two tone trucks and take yer pick! ;)

Soldato
OP
I think this is currently my favourite, still not sure though.

9L1Vb2hR.jpg[img]

Man of Honour
302's fine ... compared to newer turbo'd car's ( and trucks ?), there's no replacement for displacement,
maybe ev's are reintroducing the wall of torque - and reliability too.

Have to say I really want an EV pickup with the range of current pickups to match, which is also in my price range - which they probably won't for awhile as for my use mid-20s is about all I can justify spending maybe 30 if the vehicle really did it for me.

As much as I love a big V6 they are certainly dirty - not great for the environment or the engine itself :s

Caporegime
Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Been driving the truck a lot more than I planned to lately. We normally just use one car between me and my wife, but I’ve suddenly gained a lot more clients at work, so our schedules aren’t compatible any more. This means I’ve been putting around 250 miles per week on the truck. So, the question is, can you rely on a 42 year old truck for daily driving?

1rufCGuT.jpg

No :p

Since the stereo was installed, the battery would drain over night, so I woke up one morning and was greeted by a totally dead truck. I checked all the wiring myself and couldn’t see any issues, so I decided to call a family friend who pretty much rewired everything from the battery to the cab, and it’s now fixed. Not sure if it was just a coincidence that it started happening after the stereo install or not.

I was also conscious that this truck could be stolen by a toddler with a paper clip, so we also installed a hidden kill switch under the dash, and bought a steering lock. Anyone determined enough could still take it, but hopefully they’d choose easier / more valuable targets.

I can definitely forgive it though, as it’s proved very useful in the recent floods we’ve had.

uro8Ettp.jpg

The wet weather has however highlighted that the tyres are a fair bit worse than I thought. I ended up going completely sideways, very slowly up a local hill in the rain - the rears just couldn’t grip at all. Replacing all four tyres is now the main priority, but I’m not sure what to go for. The current size is 275/60/15, and I can go up to 31x10.5/15 without rubbing the arches. I like the idea of having a larger, more off road suited tyre, and I don’t care about speedo accuracy. However, I’m not sure how much performance will be affected - I don’t want it to feel a lot slower than it is currently. Any opinions on this?

Caporegime
The diameter and circumference will be about 8 - 9% higher if that helps.

60 - 65 less revolutions per mile.

It will definitely make it feel slower and taller geared, whether or not it will be significant enough to be a problem is another matter.

Man of Honour
Dunno what is available to you but I found Pirelli Scorpion ATR (now replaced by the AT+ which I've no experience of) a good versatile pickup tyre. I would probably suggest all season unless you are going to be off-road or in inclement weather a lot.

Likewise I wouldn't rush for bigger tyres unless you are planning on using it off-road a lot - generally quite a bit of a compromise versus road use. (It will also contribute to a more unsettled ride feel in most cases).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Dunno what is available to you but I found Pirelli Scorpion ATR (now replaced by the AT+ which I've no experience of) a good versatile pickup tyre. I would probably suggest all season unless you are going to be off-road or in inclement weather a lot.

Likewise I wouldn't rush for bigger tyres unless you are planning on using it off-road a lot - generally quite a bit of a compromise versus road use. (It will also contribute to a more unsettled ride feel in most cases).

The tricky thing is that I am planning on using it off road quite a lot. I have all season tyres on my other car and am very happy with them, but the only ones available in this size seem to be a lot more expensive than the off road ones, and I’m not sure how well they’d perform. Equally, I don’t want something hugely compromised in terms of road use so it’s not an easy decision. I can get Dunlop all terrain tyres for £65 per corner which is hard to ignore when you consider how much the all season ones cost.

Soldato

AT+ are great, got them on the disco :)

Back
Top Bottom