My shed of a 1978 Ford F-150

Soldato
OP
Went for the 31x10.5 in the end - very happy with them so far. It doesn’t feel particularly slower (it was hardly a sports car in the first place!) and the truck rides a lot better now, which probably goes to show how bad the old ones were.

Lt6E5RU3.jpg

1WPHh1oj.jpg

I think it would look a lot better with a lift kit, but if that happens it’ll be a fair way in the future, as there are more pressing matters to deal with first :p

Man of Honour
That is quite a big difference - surprised there isn't much difference though in terms of how fast/slow it feels - the difference between 225 and 255s on my truck is huge.

Soldato
OP
That is quite a big difference - surprised there isn't much difference though in terms of how fast/slow it feels - the difference between 225 and 255s on my truck is huge.

I’m sure if I did a 0-60 test there would be a difference, but considering it’s not that fast anyway, I guess it’s harder to notice. I had it at 70 on the way home and it felt fine, so that’s good enough for me.

Looks wrong without a lift kit. Take them off. :p :p

This is one of the roads I use to access our land. Does it make more sense now? :p

JEfRyUc3.jpg

I do agree though, and it will be done eventually.

Soldato
the existing tyres weren't radials then ... are new tyres cheapish ?

the hydraulic lift too, would that work on a modern monocoque, as opposed to a ladder
.... I'm sure that classic film grease had lifts like that.

Soldato
OP
the existing tyres weren't radials then ... are new tyres cheapish ?

the hydraulic lift too, would that work on a modern monocoque, as opposed to a ladder
.... I'm sure that classic film grease had lifts like that.

They're a little cheaper than in the UK, but not vastly so. The proper hardcore AT tyres are a fortune - as much as I paid for the truck in some cases.

A modern RAV4 came in while I was waiting and they used the same type of lift on that, but I wasn't paying much attention in terms of where they lifted it from.

Soldato
OP
A few more minor things completed with the truck. After getting the tyres fitted, I took it to get aligned. There’s a good local place near me who do it for £5, so I took it there thinking it would be a quick job. Turns out that a lot of the adjusting bolts were seized, and it took 4 mechanics easily 3-4 hours. It made a huge difference - drives a lot better now, particularly over bumps. I felt bad for them given all the time they spent, so I gave them a bit extra and a 12 pack of the local beer, which went down very well.

I then decided to fit the door cards I had lying around. They aren’t in great condition, but I didn’t have one at all on the drivers side, so something is better than nothing :p

Before
QnTeSKMr.jpg

After
csw4LqJc.jpg

Then today I ended up using it for the first time for proper “truck things”. We sold our house and are moving back in with my wife’s parents while our new house is being built, so I used it to help with the move.

A couple of years ago, I carried some furniture in a pickup truck and had an unfortunate encounter with a bridge, so I was feeling a bit nervous. I didn’t want to turn another wardrobe into a small chest of drawers like last time.

vtQUuvgf.jpg

Luckily, everything went perfectly as I actually planned my route this time.

cns87a4b.jpg

ZouQvMUu.jpg

GBojXsgm.jpg

It drove very well fully loaded and actually felt more settled than usual. Braking distance was definitely increased though, so it was a relatively slow journey!

My passengers didn’t mind too much, but they definitely preferred my Range Rover.

D1HTvPxR.jpg

Man of Honour
Vinyl paint would really smarten up those door cards. A friend bought a Polo with a blue interior once, dyed the carpets and painted all the plastics with vinyl paint and vinyl die, they looked like new.

Soldato
OP
Vinyl paint would really smarten up those door cards. A friend bought a Polo with a blue interior once, dyed the carpets and painted all the plastics with vinyl paint and vinyl die, they looked like new.

It would, but I think I'll just get some new ones eventually. You can get them for about £30 the pair, which I probably should have done in the first place really. These ones I got soon after I bought the truck for about £5 at a breakers, but I probably wouldn't have even bothered if I'd have known how cheap the new ones were.

Soldato
OP
Haven't had a chance to do that much work on the truck recently as I've been using it as a daily driver. I finally got around to fixing the indicators by putting new sockets in, but then after a couple more weeks they broke again. I managed to sort that out this morning - turned out to be a bad ground. I also replaced the both rear light clusters: they're only Chinese aftermarket parts, but at £15 the pair they do the job and look a lot better than the faded, broken ones I had before.

I'll be getting rid of the horrible aftermarket LED ones mounted on the bumper too at some point.

I also replaced the starter solenoid (£5 from the equivalent of Halfords) and the cables running from the ignition to the solenoid (free as I had them lying around), and that's all I've done really. I'm hoping to get it painted at Christmas, but it depends how much I need to use it, as I'll probably have to leave it with them for a couple of weeks.

It's been incredibly useful lately: I've been using it to haul bricks, metal posts, and water tanks for our building project.

Every time I see a photo of it, it reminds me I need to get that front grill sorted out ASAP - hopefully I'll get around to it soon.

Back
Top Bottom