My SN25P Shuttle story

~J~

~J~

Soldato
OK, well if anyone's interested I've posted a few pictures and thoughts on my SN25P Shuttle.

Has a few installation photos as well as some details of pitfalls I encountered and a few tips and thoughts for anyone who may be thinking of going down the SFF road.

Thanks to those on here you have helped me over the last few weeks, you've definately been very very helpful and the advice you gave was solid.

Read about it here: http://www.jasonmhirst.co.uk/?page_id=193

Associate
nice read

but you do realise you are practically blocking your intake and exhaust paths with your 360 and amp thingy [I'm sure theres a name for it :)]

come the warmer weather you might want that optimum throughput

having owned a 25 and now a 26 yes the card reader thing is a swine if you forget, and personally I wouldn't have any more than 2 HD in a P series, the rear HD mount has been dropped in 26 due to compromised air flow when using SLi

Soldato
Hey mate.
I hope you don't use your shuttle and xbox360 with there air intakes blocked up like this.

Or if you do..then check the temps of your shuttle harddrives by using HDtach.

(I done this once myself by mistake with my sn26p and i saw my top mounted 300gb maxtor hit over 70c :eek: .maxtor maxium recommended temp is 55c)

DSC01948.JPG

Last edited:

~J~

~J~

Soldato
OP
Cheers for the feedback.

At the moment, the amp and xbox are next to each other but hopefully tomorrow I'll be moving them around.

Keep putting my hand next to the exhaust to see how warm it is and I'm surprised how cool the air coming out feels. But you're the experts, will take your advice on board.

Thanks again.

Soldato
Good post mate however I think you are too critical on the two things "missing" , just my opinion.

1stly shuttle do supply one extra power extender ( for graphics card or ide drive) I dont really see why they should supply two - even though extra cost would be minimal. I had no problems getting mine to reach my nvidia card underneath (even though that meant taking out all the drives yet again at the end lol)

and

2ndly I doubt that a blanking plate would really lessen the noise from an open floppy bay, like mine is right now - very much at all. Remember these units dont exactly shriek in the first place.

Great review though, and I am really chuffed with my 25P also (even though my cpu hood broke before cpu installation lol)

Can I ask why the two keyboards - I chose the natural MS 4000 keyboard like you, it lasted about 4 weeks until I spilt beer over it and now it wont owrk at all grrrrrrr and they are impossible to get into even after removing all the screws so now on really cheap keyboard.

~J~

~J~

Soldato
OP
Cheers mate.

The power extender; yeah they do supply an additional one, as you say, one for the ide cable, but my card has a 6pin power connector with a male connector and the power extended had a male connector too. Maybe I should blame nVidia then :p

Seriously though, it was just a case of "O heck, how am I gonna do this" and I'm sure the majority of people will have 'spares' kicking about the house.

As for the two keyboards. Well the 4000 I needed as my trusty Natural keyboard was starting to get tempermental, I've had it about 3 years now it's had a hell of a lot of hammer and served me well, so a new natural keyboard was needed. The purchase of the Media keyboard was because I wanted to see how well it integrated with Media Centre as if it performs well I'll be building a dedicated HTPC soon which is where the keyboard will come into play.

My house is also really small (an old millers cottage), so it's pretty easy for me to angle my monitor, lay on the settee and work or watch movies, so having that keyboard rather than a big bulky wireless one is also a lot more comfortable to work with.

Sorry to hear about the CPU hood, have to admit I was like a surgeon removing things as I was so scared on breaking something!

Soldato
wonders how you got the wrong power connector in the box - very strange that, but as long as its working now thats the main thing

Associate
discovered something new this past week

you dont normally need the nvidia ide drivers it usuallyworks fine without... until you add a 3gb/s sata drive, i thought i had another duff sata cable (1 had already failed) that couldnt keep up cos i was having a week of the drive just stalling i.e. spinning down and not spinning back up till a reboot

so if anyone else has this, the latest nforce ide drivers fixed it for me

~J~

~J~

Soldato
OP
Keeping it in this thread.

Recently had an almost disasterous situation with one of my drives (crashed and almost lost the contents).

Eventually got the drive working (still can't read data) and was about to reformat it but I'm sure I've read somewhere on here that the SATA cables that come with shuttles are next to rubbish!

Anyone confirm this and perhaps recommend an alternative, and how easy is it to replace the cables.

Soldato
the 25p sata cables are notoriously bad apparantly (loads of complaints on here a while ago about them)

replace it with any sata cable you want, it should work a lot better. only thing is i dont think you'll find uber short cables like the one shuttle supply so a bit more "routing" of the cable may be necessary

Soldato
lol am i that predictible?? :) or is it just that im normally the only one floatin around the SFF forum (seems VERY dead lately??, not much of anythin interestin goin off, or at least nothin i can post about)

hope the sata cable works

Soldato
My 7800GT which is physically bigger and requires more power worked well in my 25P, but it was too loud for Me which is the only reason why I removed it

Back
Top Bottom