*****My WOT4 MK2 Nitro RC Plane Assembly Log****

Associate
Yep, like pretty much all kits they're ARTF now. I remember you could used to select the built up wing or foam wing version of the wot4 when I was first starting.

DJMK4, a flight sim will give you a head start but you're not going to be able to fly a plane straight out of the box from a sim. Go to a proper club and get training otherwise the chances of you getting a second flight are pretty low. SC engines are pretty cheap nasty engines, go for an Irvine, they'll last you and you get plenty of power out of them.

Soldato
OP
Caporegime
Tip for you. For the undercarriage fix it on with plastic bolts.

Trust me, it will save you ripping the whole bottom of the plane out in the event of a dodgy landing :) - Also get the OS or the Irvine, both good makes of engine. And for £52 thats a great price.

I remember paying a lot more for my OS 52 I've got the in Sukhoi!

Caporegime
If it was me, I'd go for Saito 4 stroke, or money permitting a Laser but it's a sin to put something so expensive on a cheap ARTF.

Is it?

No way! The Laser in mine is about 30 years old. If not more! Still starts straight away. We had a break of not flying, boating or RC'ing for about 3 years, and it started 2 seconds after having the starter on it and ran absolutely fine.

I'd rather spend more money on a decent engine for less hassle so I can concentrate more on actual flying time. Plus if he gets proper lessons and training (no club will let him fly without) he won't bury it as they'll be using the buddy system. Then when he qualifies he still won't bury it as he'll be able to fly.

Soldato
OP
Aileron servos have now been installed although im not sure if they are the correct way round, i can spin them round so that the white disks are at the opposite ends.

It must be said these instructions are crap. Going to post on RCgroups to see if they can help

aileronservoinstall1.jpg

aileronservoinstall2.jpg

Soldato
OP
OK, radio has been binded with the reciever, aileron servos are in and centered, duel aileron controls have been set-up on my tx, you can see me using the aileron stick controls to turn them. You can see in my pic the reciever, li-po battery, regulator/glow starter ignition

aileronservoscentered1.jpg

Soldato
OP
Transmission breaker
Don
Good luck! What have you been flying before this model?

The wot 4 is supposed to be a decent mid-wing second plane. I never flew one, but always saw them doing the rounds years ago :)

However, as said before, this is basic assembly, not a build! ARTF kits have a lot to answer for.. Althought they opened the door to more people to get into the hobby, it does devalue the experience somewhat.

Nothing like building up an aircraft from a pile of balsa, covering, balancing, trimming and test-flying!! Also, one of my favorite parts of any build is seeing the fully complete balsa shell standing naked ready for covering!

Currently I own my old Nitro high wing trainer, a coyote electric glider and two balsa build slope soarers.

Not been flying much recently though :)

Soldato
OP
Good luck! What have you been flying before this model?

The wot 4 is supposed to be a decent mid-wing second plane. I never flew one, but always saw them doing the rounds years ago :)

However, as said before, this is basic assembly, not a build! ARTF kits have a lot to answer for.. Althought they opened the door to more people to get into the hobby, it does devalue the experience somewhat.

Nothing like building up an aircraft from a pile of balsa, covering, balancing, trimming and test-flying!! Also, one of my favorite parts of any build is seeing the fully complete balsa shell standing naked ready for covering!

Currently I own my old Nitro high wing trainer, a coyote electric glider and two balsa build slope soarers.

Not been flying much recently though :)

This is my first model. I was going to go for the WOT Trainer but I didnt want to be restricted as such as I know I would get bored of it soon enough where this model will give me the added bonus of being aerobatic.

I wouldnt say its basic, infact its quite challenging, with the un-clear instructions that came with the plane for a first timer it is pretty difficult to put together. I have seen other planes instructions which offer much much more detail step by step guides.

Im getting on though :) picking up my engine this week. .46 OS, all I will need to get then is my fuel pump, fuel filter, some props, maybe one or two other things but all the rest I have got.

Last edited:
Transmission breaker
Don
This is my first model. I was going to go for the WOT Trainer but I didnt want to be restricted as such as I know I would get bored of it soon enough where this model will give me the added bonus of being aerobatic.

I wouldnt say its basic, infact its quite challenging, with the un-clear instructions that came with the plane for a first timer it is pretty difficult.

Im getting on though :) picking up my engine this week. .46 OS

Fair enough, have you got someone to teach you how to fly? Also, is your transmitter able to hook up to a buddy system? My training was all done initially under the buddy system. So, landings and take-offs were dealt with by my instructor for the first few flights.

Once I had the hang of flying circuits and eights, we moved onto landing approaches. Once i had my landing approaches down, I was allowed to land my own model.

I took my BMFA license, and then I was good to fly solo!

Do you know how to run in/tune the engine? don't know if engines even need to be run in anymore? It was over a decade aco i flew nitro. I do start mine up once a year to make sure its still working fine for when I do want to play nitro again.

Intructions for models are almost always basic, a model like the Wot4 will assume you have already been flying and built a high-wing aircraft and know a bit about the hobby.

The wot4 is not a trainer model, some might call it an aerobatic trainer, but i would make sure you use really low throw on the control surfaces, you do not want twitchy and over-reacting controls on a model you are training on!

Back
Top Bottom