*****My WOT4 MK2 Nitro RC Plane Assembly Log****

Soldato
OP
Fair enough, have you got someone to teach you how to fly? Also, is your transmitter able to hook up to a buddy system? My training was all done initially under the buddy system. So, landings and take-offs were dealt with by my instructor for the first few flights.

Once I had the hang of flying circuits and eights, we moved onto landing approaches. Once i had my landing approaches down, I was allowed to land my own model.

I took my BMFA license, and then I was good to fly solo!

Do you know how to run in/tune the engine? don't know if engines even need to be run in anymore? It was over a decade aco i flew nitro. I do start mine up once a year to make sure its still working fine for when I do want to play nitro again.

Intructions for models are almost always basic, a model like the Wot4 will assume you have already been flying and built a high-wing aircraft and know a bit about the hobby.

The wot4 is not a trainer model, some might call it an aerobatic trainer, but i would make sure you use really low throw on the control surfaces, you do not want twitchy and over-reacting controls on a model you are training on!

Hi there, yes my DX6i does have a buddy system, aswel as putting in many hours on the flight simulator hooked up to my radio, I will be looking at someone watching over me yes when I first start to fly the real thing instead of the SIM (although the sim is realistic)

I have seen some youtube videos of engine run/in and tuning, Iv also got a friend to show me but there are plenty of guides on the web especially on how to tune the OS engines. Run-in you just strap the plane down with no wings attached, put a good few tanks of fuel through each time throttling up/down.

Transmission breaker
Don
Hi there, yes my DX6i does have a buddy system, aswel as putting in many hours on the flight simulator hooked up to my radio, I will be looking at someone watching over me yes when I first start to fly the real thing instead of the SIM (although the sim is realistic)

I have seen some youtube videos of engine run/in and tuning, Iv also got a friend to show me but there are plenty of guides on the web especially on how to tune the OS engines. Run-in you just strap the plane down with no wings attached, put a good few tanks of fuel through each time throttling up/down.

Make sure you get your BMFA membership sorted, the insurance it provides can be a godsend! You really don't want to mash up anyone's property (god forbid, a person) and be left with a huge bill for repairs (or worse!)

In my experience, RC sims are good, but nothing really simulates the real thing, odd wind anomalies, going dead-stick in a horrible place in the circuit, servo chatter and other aircraft! Also, knowing that your model is on the line if you make a mistake can add a lot of stress :p The more real air-time you get the better.

I am sorry if I am coming across all preachy, but you do want to get everything right first time around. It saves a LOT of hassel.

If you have no already, join a club, and go down a general club day and speak to the members, and get to know the site, and site procedures (all sites I have been to have very different radio restrictions, and peg systems to stop people accidentally sharing bands and causing accidents. You will also probably be able to do training on a Club trainer, rather than putting your own model on the line. My old club ran a couple of high wing trainer craft purely for training newbies :) I did decide to buy and build my own to train on. I built it under guidance from my trainer, and took my first flights on it.

Once you get your BMFA licenses down, you will be pretty much able to fly anything (within reason!). I was flying fast electric deltas after my first year, although I prefer slower flight and gliding now :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Cool yeah I will be looking at BMFA insurance.

yeh regarding the RC Sim, the one I have Phoenix is the most realistic, but as you said it doesnt offer some of the stuff you experience in real flight, although it does have good wind settings, failure settings, disorientation realism etc when flying and is good for getting used to takeoffs/landings/approaches.

I am taking my model with me on friday when I have a day off work (and payday) to pick up my engine, I have asked the guy behind the counter politely if he wouldnt mind taking a look at my progress so far and get a few tips, they are good like that, every time iv been in there I always see him helping people out.

I will have a look at clubs when I have put it all together, and before it has its first flight.

Associate
I wouldn't worry too much about ground running engines, just keep them on the rich side for the first dozen tanks and they'll be fine. Get training, I'm a BMFA instructor with a good number of years experience and can vouch completley with the BMFA training scheme.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the advice everyone

I have decided on one of three engines for my WOT4 MK2 plane, this is my first plane and the engine requirements need to give the benifit of being good performing, reliable, enough power to see me through training (which it will) but also to perform aerobatics, I dont want to be having to buy a bigger engine to keep me satisfied.

I dont mind paying the extra £20 for the OS as this seems to be the better reviewed engine.

What are peoples views?

Shall I go for

OS 46 LA

or

SC46A-S

or

Irvine 46 ABC Mk IV Engine

I am picking it up this friday

Soldato
OP
I had this arguement at the beginning of this thread, its similar to people posting build logs for their PC's, your not building it, your assembling it, but people still use the term build. ;)

Anyway, on the subject of engines, I think im going to go for the irvine.

Transmission breaker
Don
I had this arguement at the beginning of this thread, its similar to people posting build logs for their PC's, your not building it, your assembling it, but people still use the term build. ;)

Anyway, on the subject of engines, I think im going to go for the irvine.

I was just trying to wind up Jestar :p

In regards to the engine, the only IC engine I have left is an MDS, and I don't think they even make model engines anymore, however Irvine and OS has been around for a long time.. They know how to make engines, either would be fine I reckon!

Soldato
OP
I was just trying to wind up Jestar :p

In regards to the engine, the only IC engine I have left is an MDS, and I don't think they even make model engines anymore, however Irvine and OS has been around for a long time.. They know how to make engines, either would be fine I reckon!

The OS 46 LA engine doesnt have as much power, and is a bushing engine. Many people on RC Groups and another forum im using are suggesting the Irvine to be the better out of the two, if I was going for an OS 46 AX that would be a different story, but these are like £35 - £40 more expensive that the Irvine, the 46 Irvine will be perfect for me

:)

Transmission breaker
Don
The OS 46 LA engine doesnt have as much power, and is a bushing engine. Many people on RC Groups and another forum im using are suggesting the Irvine to be the better out of the two, if I was going for an OS 46 AX that would be a different story, but these are like £35 - £40 more expensive that the Irvine, the 46 Irvine will be perfect for me

:)

I see, glad I moved to Electrics and Slope Soarers!!

Associate
SC = super crap. Avoid like the plaque.

I used to fly planes quite a lot a few years ago, had a few limbo dancers, a panic and a mornonic.

Not sure if you can still get super tiger engines, but i like them. OS or webra where the ones you wanted. (Not the OS LA ones though..)

Soldato
OP
Think you can get super tiger, but im going to stick with my guns on Irvine, seeing as thats whats everyone is recommending over on the RCGroups and rchobby forums :)

Got my local model shop to keep me one back so i can pick it up on friday, also going to take my plane down so they can give it the once over on my progress so far :)

wish me luck

Associate
The Irvine Red`s are great engines. ABC so you dont need to worry about running it in, just run it a little richer than normal for the first 2 flights.

Try and get the 53 if you can afford it, as it weighs about the same, and will give you that little bit more umph!

Make sure you Join a club which is BMFA affiliated and go for your A license. Please dont take this to a park on your own ;)

Caporegime
I would seriously go for a bigger engine than a 46. The last thing you want is getting the plane in a sticky situation and the engine not having the power to get you out of it!

Oh incase your interested, between Dad and myself we have the following:

WOT4
Acro WOT
Extra WOT
A Bi-place (always interesting when that thing takes off :p)
Spitfire
Fokkorwolf (spelling?)
Sukhoi
Graphik

I *THINK* that's all the planes

Also:

Raptor 50 Helicopter (haven't got round to finishing it)
A Steam engine tug boat
Small scale hydro with a 3.5cc outboard
Submarine
Dave Marles 'Miami'

Struggling to think of what else at the minute, but I'm sure there are others. Will do some pics for you this weekend :)

Soldato
OP
I thought with the WOT4 if you stick anything bigger than a .46 it gets too much for the plane and you have to all sorts of adjustments?

I was thinking about a 53 but was told to stick with the 46 as thats what best suits this particular plane.

Associate
The 53 is lighter than the 46 ;)
its all to do with weight and getting the correct CG, now saying this as a beginner you want the CG to be a little more forward than usual so maybe the 46 will be better!

Its normally very easy to balance with the engine though, if the motor mounts are long enough

Back
Top Bottom