MySQL Advice Needed

Associate
Hi all. Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice as to modifying a MySQL database. Basically I need to add some fields to it. Ideally I want to be able to add fields to an existing table - I have the files with the following extensions .myd, .myi and .frm. I'm not familiar MySQL (I do know some SQL syntax) so I'm not sure how those files fit in with the overall scheme of things.

I have also found a .sql file containing SQL commands to build the tables. I could modify to include those extra fields but I assume that it would mean rebuilding the database tables from scratch and losing any data in them. (not an impractical solution since I don't think there is much data in them).

Btw all these files are part of an online shopping cart called Xcart and I'm trying to modify for a friend. I feel I've grasped some of it but there are gaps - not sure when or how the .sql files are executed by the Xcart.

Would appreciate some advice for a MySQL newbie :)

is this on a server online brought from a hosting company? if so usually web hosting comes with phpmyadmin, which is extremely easy to use and you will be able to add the new fields to the existing database in no time. if not sorry i can't help,

if not the sql query is something like this

ALTER TABLE `yourtablename` ADD `fieldname` INT NOT NULL ;

Back
Top Bottom