1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mystery 20GB 'unallocated' on C:

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by jonnyg, 1 Mar 2006.

1. jonnyg

Hitman

Hi,

Having just setup my new HDD, i noticed in the disk management, that there was 20GB on my C: drive missing. It has been sat 'unallocated' since i re-installed Windows a month ago. I'm not sure how i missed that, but its a mystery to me how it happened. I did not setup Windows to have a 140GB C: drive (the drive is 160GB) but yet, there it is, 21GB of my physical C: drive not doing anything ('unallocated' as mentioned).

For the time being, i have set it as I:, as a separate drive, but this is not how i want it to stay. Is there any way of joining the drive back together, to form a complete 160GB C: drive, and as it is a boot drive, will this cause a problem?

2. Alexrose1uk

Sgarrista

What version of windows do you have?

3. Overlag

Capodecina

to the OP i think ALEX is on the right track, XP doesnt support HDD's over 127gig, you need SP1 (or is it SP2?)

4. Jeff Crawly

PermaBanned

Not totally true!!

The OP clearly demonstrates that standard XP does indeed support Hd's over 137Gb (not 127Gb) but does not support partitions over 137Gb!

To create a partition over 137Gb you need either SP1 or Sp2 as these have 48-bit Logical Block Addressing (LBA) support.

However creating a C: partition of this size is just plane stupid imho :p

5. Overlag

Capodecina

well yeah, not totally true if you want to be picky, i mean it will "work" on a 500gig drive, but why would you only want 137gig of that 500 to be access able (i know about partitions as i cant live with a pc without them...)

most people install there PC's with ONE whole partition though.

6. bledd

Don

you should install xp with sp2 slipstreamed into the disc to avoid this problem

7. jonnyg

Hitman

Its never been a problem before... Multiple times, using the same XP disc, and using the same hardware. All i really need now is a way of joining the disc back together.

8. smids

Soldato

Partition magic is the best way.

I've found using disk part from the command line doesn't work....might be worth a try though, I believe the HDU Forum sticky has a guide... especially as Partition magic costs...