n00b - Athlon 64 3200+

Associate
Hi Drifta and evrybody, my 1st post in OcUK :).

As i have 3200+ as well then i will share my experienc with this chip ;).

1st, probably guy's already mentioned it, a lot depends what kind of components you have inside you rig. For example, if you have a good chip, but crap MOBO and rest of components then you wont be able to go far and will never see it in all it's glory.

2nd with time you will learn that there is 2 types of overclocking, one is for 24/7 and another for benching.

Before i list my overclocking achievement i'll give my rig details:
CPU: A64 3200+ Venice
Cooling: Gigabyte G-Power Pro
RAM: 2x512 Corsair XMS4400C25 (TCCD)
MOBO: DFI Expert
PSU: Enermax EG701AX-VE(W)
By the way all this coming from OcUK :D.

So, for 24/7 i running my CPU @ 2.6GHz (1.55v - HTT260 - multi x10) and my memory runs with divider 1:1 @ 260Mhz (2.5-3-3-6 - 2.92V) as i been running like this for a while and CPU is burned in then i might be able get 2.7GHz for 24/7 use and if i'm lucky i could run chip with lower Vcore as well, should check it some day.

When i did benchmarking i was using it at 2.8-2.85GHz with 1.68V. The max i managed to get out from it, with my AIR cooling, was 2870.53MHz to be precise :D, there is a proof http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=96781.

I seen those chips going over 3GHz under phase, but a lot depends on core and steping as well.

FINAL WORDS: To see what your chip is capable of you need to take together good rig and to see it at the max glory you need phase cooling and i can bet if you will keep overclockers way there will come day when you will buy phase cooling like Vapo or Mach.

Take care!

Cheers
Andy

Associate
Townlea said:
YOUR CRAZY! 1.68v on AIR!!!! 1.55v is the limit mate

As i told i was using 1.68 for benching, to achieve good results you need to take some risk. And i never saw my CPU temperature jumping over 40c with 1.68V :D. I even played a couple online games @ this voltage :eek: and as you can see my PC still running :). My limit for benching on AIR is 1.7V for short periods and it's not only me as i seen some another CRAZY people around with 1.7V on air.

Cheers

P.S. Of course i wouldnt sugest to n00bies to take example from me as it may end up with fried CPU, but, as i said before, to achieve good results in benchmarks sometimes extra volts is only way forward.

Back
Top Bottom