NAS queries with HikVision and best NAS available

Associate
Hello,

I think i'm after the latest and greatest in the world of NAS but don't know much so i'm here with a few questions.

What i plan to do is, Connect 6 POE UHD Hikvision cameras to a POE gigabit switch by cat 6 cables. Then connect the switch to a NAS.

1, I would like the NAS to interact with 6 4K HikVision Cameras, is it possible there will there be too much data to transmit on a Cat 6/7 cable between switch and NAS? I would like not to have NVR (HikVision Net video recorder) as i don't own one.

3,Is it possible to install Hikvision iVMS-4200 on to any NAS

4, What is the best of the best NAS about now and is there anything on the release horizon that's worth waiting for? For instance I would like to stream 4K movies from a remote location.

Any recommendations are welcome on POE switches, NAS's or anything - PLEASE HELP - This is for personal use not commercial but high budget.

Switch would need minimum ten ports.

Associate
I wouldn't bother with a NAS at all for your use case, because to me NAS at the moment equals an underpowered, overpriced Linux box. Put your own HTPC / small form factor PC together with home server software such as FreeNAS or whatever suits your needs: https://www.sysprobs.com/best-home-server-os-for-media-lovers-try-now

You can then whack whatever combination of 10GbE cards or any other network interface you need on it too. The problem with that Hikvision software is that it appears to be Windows or MacOS only. Most personal use NAS' are Linux boxes and they're slow too, so even if Windows can be run in a virtual machine on a NAS, I'm not sure you'll be managing 4K cameras out the wazoo on it. This problem is then solved if you build your own with a more powerful processor and whatnot.

Well, that's my take on it. I'm sure someone more experienced will come and tell me if I'm wrong.

Back
Top Bottom