NAS recommendations anyone?

Associate
Hey everyone! Hoping to get some advice on a new NAS device. Long story short my IcyBox 4220 has died (doesn't seem to be getting enough power to power the HDDs but reluctantly works without them) so I'm looking for a new NAS and hoping to get some experts opinions :)

basic requirements are:
1TB min
1Gb network connection
quiet running
good quality
print server

nice to have:
easy backups from pc and mac (time machine?)
interested to explore an iTunes server but not essential
access for anywhere sounds nice

it's basic use will be to backup a windows home server. But it may be used for other things - most importantly a print server.

I would be tempted to buy a new IcyBox 4220 but to be honest I was not to pleased with the quality of it. When left on for a couple of days or transfering data overnight it would sometime crash. Then again I did push it's limits with adding a web server and other bits, but generally not impressed by it's quality and ultimate death after 2 years of use (as a NAS server backup it kinda needs to be reliable)

had a look at the WD mybooks but sadly they don't have a print server :( and the Buffalo equivelants look almost perfect but they got bad reviews with many complaining about the noise!

any advice is greatly appreciate!

Last edited:
Permabanned
I have a qnap 409 had it for over a year , not bad
IF you were to ask me what I would do NOW ???

I would probably build a PC to do the job , easier to fix if problems if they arise
and more configurable to boot

Associate
OP
I have a qnap 409 had it for over a year , not bad
IF you were to ask me what I would do NOW ???

I would probably build a PC to do the job , easier to fix if problems if they arise
and more configurable to boot

Agreed. That's why I'm going with a home server. I guess I could just get a backup drive without all the features a NAS normally comes with. But when the prices are not so different I thought I might as well get a NAS box as well as a server. Jus incase I wanted it to do more than just backup the server

Associate
what about "Netgear RND2000-100 READYNAS DUO 2 Bay Desktop NAS"
Ok its a little more expensive, but you can claim a free 500gb hdd if u buy before the end of the month. I am probably gonna buy one, and stick a 2TB drive in beside the free 500 with plans to eventually replace the free one with another 2TB once they fill up.

Associate
I'd just use Windows Home Server (or build your own Linux box) to provide NAS, print server and whatever other functionality you need. Then just buy a spare hard disk and periodically backup your important data in case your Windows Home Server dies.

Back
Top Bottom