National museum of Computing needs our help

Associate
Hi

Not sure if this is allowed or had already been posed (i did search) but the National museum of computing in bletchley park needs our help to survive the lockdown. They are apparently not eligible for a grant from the government and need finical help to be able to pay rent until they can again open doors to the normal volume of visitors. Looking at the donations there have been some very generous supporters but they are only half way to their goal and Im sure there are some people who would love to visit, and would be very sad if it had to close.

https://www.tnmoc.org

Phil

Caporegime
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...ng-berlin-wall-restored-colossus-codebreaking
was this ever resolved?
But the complementary goals haven't healed tensions between the groups. Block H is owned by the Bletchley Park Trust, meaning that TNMOC is its tenant. The rent, £75,000 a year plus £25,000 for utilities and a service charge, is a big chunk of the small museum's turnover, creating tension between the two.
ouch seems expensive
The most longstanding issue is ticketing: none of the £15 entry price to Bletchley Park goes to TNMOC, so the museum has to charge a second fee to visitors (currently £2 to visit just Colossus and £5 to see the whole museum). To visitors unaware of the difference between the establishments, the second fee can be an unwelcome surprise, and TNMOC has for years had to deal with complaints about it.
:confused:

Last edited:
Commissario
I was really disappointed when I went to Bletchley Park last year - They've moved the working Bombe replica to that computing museum which I thought was an absolutely ridiculous thing to do.

Man of Honour
Hi

Not sure if this is allowed or had already been posed (i did search) but the National museum of computing in bletchley park needs our help to survive the lockdown. They are apparently not eligible for a grant from the government and need finical help to be able to pay rent until they can again open doors to the normal volume of visitors. Looking at the donations there have been some very generous supporters but they are only half way to their goal and Im sure there are some people who would love to visit, and would be very sad if it had to close.

https://www.tnmoc.org

Phil

Thanks for posting this, I haven't been to this place but it's on my list so it's in my interest for it to survive until I can see it.

Associate
OP
I last went in 2015/2016 and they were both separate museums then and I believe still are which is a shame but the BP trust seems to be run by arrogant people, the people i spoke to at the TMOC were all genuine computing fanatics like me

Soldato
I've visited both sites in one day trip, a couple of times with different groups. Apparently the two sites fell out a while back hence the different entry fees etc.

BP is larger but much more of a traditional museum/history experience, whereas TNMOC has much more of the stuff I'm interested in sadly. Will consider donating as I'd gladly go back for another visit.

Soldato
There were tensions between BP and TNMOC when I visited in 2012. IIRC the NMOC wasn't included in the BP ticket price - you had to pay an additional amount for a little sticker to attach to your BP ticket to get access.

Such a shame because I really enjoyed both sections. The guide at the Colossus Rebuild was especially good and knew his stuff inside-out. I'll send a small donation for sure.

Colossus with guide (colour) by Box with a button, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom