Native Resolutions for Widescreen Gaming

Associate
As I've mentioned in another thread, I'm looking to upgrade my Samsung 181T to a widesceen monitor, currently looking at Samsung 205BW.

Something thats been holding me back from upgrading is the native resolution of widescreen monitors and specifically how these affect playing games which is the primary use for my PC. I see a lot of resolutions quoted like 1690 x 1050 or similar but don't generally see these in the game options?
How widely are these resolutions being adopted in new games and for older games how do they look on these monitors? Borders all round or a grossly stretched image?

Finally, whats the minimum size of widescreen I should be looking at? 20"?

Thanks

Gommsta

Soldato
Ok, first of all, go here. You will find lots of useful info in the forums on how to force any games not natively supporting widescreen, into a suitable mode. Almost all new games are supporting common widescreen resolutions out of the box now, so that won't be a problem.

20" is a good minimum size to go for. Widescreens are perfect for gaming, really. Once you go widescreen, you will never go back! :D

Associate
OP
That link has opened my eyes completely. Thank you very much for that. So i'm definitely going widescreen :D Just need to know if that Samsung is worth getting? Seems a great price

Back
Top Bottom