1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nearly blew myself up

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wossi, 24 Jul 2006.

1. Wossi

Mobster

Went to have a shower this morning and there was no hot water despite the me turning on the hot water and central heating this morning. My sister suggested that perhaps the pilot light in the boiler thingy had gone out so I went and checked, it was out. Turned it all off and washed my front windscreen to pass the time and went to turn it back on, flicked the switch, turned the gas to pilot and pushed the button to ignite it. Ignite it I did, there was a loud bang and the front of the boiler flew off :eek: I'm now read me myself and don't dare try to do it again :( Cold shower's this morning then :(

2. Stringy

Mobster

Got eyebrows?

3. Wossi

Mobster

Thankfully only the front of the boiler housing thingy blew off

Oh and sorry dons, didn't realise what I was typing as I was still shaking slightly :o

4. fatmas

PermaBanned

Singed.... Free Trim on the hair front.. Glad your ok though

5. R B Customs

Mobster

i didnt htink those flames ever went out ?
    sounds dangerous mate ! how all is well

6. daveyj27

Wise Guy

Ours went out on Saturday morning.
    Landlord's plumber came out and sorted it.....but it packed up again about half an hour after he left. We're waiting to see when someone can come out and fix the system properly now.

Luckily, the hot weather means that cold showers are pretty nice. :D

7. Messiah Khan

Capodecina

Call a gas man ASAP. You don't want gas to be filling youir house now, or there might be an even bigger bang.

8. Wossi

Mobster

Just spoken to my dad (he's on holiday) and it turns out I've been a numpty. Once the pilot is on and you have turned the dial to on you are supposed to flick a switch to turn the rest of the gas on. Guess what I turned on first :rolleyes:

There is no gas left as the whole thing is turned off.

9. Efour

Caporegime

You dont wanna be fiddling with that too much mate lol :(

If you dunno what you are doing, seriously just pay for the tradesman.

10. Le_Petit_Lapin

Capodecina

Obviously ht e best thing you can do now is to have a good long smoke as you contemplate as to wether or not there is any gas left in the room.

[​IMG]

Like this man. He knows the score. :p

Btw...if a large explosion occurs, then there is gas present. However it would have got consumed in the explosion, so you can conclude that the room is now safe.

Warning: The above method may result in loss of roof, walls and possessions within your house, and possibly personal injury. You have been warned.

Last edited: 24 Jul 2006
  11. Wossi

Mobster

^^ the first time I tried to light it I was smoking. I then realised that perhaps it was not the wisest thing to do :D although I could have got myself a darwin award.

@ Efour2: I can normally light it fine but I was still half asleep this morning and it wasn't until I was in work that I realised I was being stupid.