1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEC 4550A fails to read DVD's

Discussion in 'Optical Storage & Writing' started by MoratJG, 6 Aug 2006.

1. MoratJG

Mobster

I have an odd problem with the above drive.

90% of the time it works very well.

Initially, I put it down to 'one of those things', but the problem has reocurred recently forcing me to take it as a problem that needs to be sorted: sometimes it it just refuses to read DVD's.

I have tried to recreate the failure, and the only common thread I can find is that, after playing a CD based game for any extended period, it seems to key a DVD, but is unable to run it, however; should I run a DVD based game for a while, the reverse is not true.

I am Googling firmware updates and whatnot, but it is not something I have ever tried before, so I would be grateful if anyone could share any similar problems, or shed some light on the issue.

The drive is almost exclusively used for gaming, is running the supplied firmware, and only very occasionally is used for burning.

Should no-one be able to provide an answer, I would appreciate a reliable firmware site for the drive, I am getting tired of hacking through l33t flash sites that promise the world :)

I simply want a working drive.

2. Russian_Hitman

Associate

Im having a problem that this drive wont write dvds...

3. Plasmoid

Gangster

I got one two months ago... wont read DVD's ever now... odd.

I bought it to replace an ND-2500a that stopped reading CD's one day.

Methinks i'll RMA for something not NEC.

4. luminous

Gangster

5. PikeyPriest

Wise Guy

I cant read any DVD-R's with my 4570. Really annoying now. Thinking about RMAing it if i cant fix it over the weekend. It explicitly states it can read DVD-R, i`m going to pop my old DVD drive in to make sure its not a windows issue. Otherwise i`ll return it and swap it for a drive that does what its supposed to.

6. Rob43

Mobster

I just rma'd a 4550A because of the very same thing,stopped reading dvds all of a sudden,turned out the drive was faulty.

RMA it if i were you mate ;)

I'm now deciding what new drive to buy :confused: Can't make up my mind though

Rob

7. FrankJH

Capodecina

I find that My NEC 3550 i thnk is very particular with types of disc.

I have a tub of DVD-R from OCUK that it just refuses to burn to , no matter what software I use to do the burning.

Another brand of tubbed discs is ok though - really annoying

Another drive I have - pioneer I think, refuses to be booted from even though I know the discs and mobo are fine (and bios set correctly)

and at the time these were the most popular types of drive

8. PikeyPriest

Wise Guy

Going to RMA tomorrow. Going to test my old DVD drive in this PC to make sure it is the drive at fault. Then i`ll find a replacement and RMA it. Not sure what to go for though!