Need a Gaming Headset - Then look here first

Caporegime
HTF600's are very comfortable, they are good but I would place the KSC75 as the better headphones for gaming and the HTF better for music.

if your looking at gaming then a second hand set of HD595 or AD700 is the best you can get and they aren't that much more.

you would be going from a 6-7/10 to a 9.5/10 for the extra £30 you need to spend to get a second hand pair of 595's.

Not gaming at all really, just good quality headphones. Actually shouldn't a good pair of headphones be decent for gaming by default? If it has good separation/soundstage, and good clarity...

Anyway, my HTF arrived today and I've been using them - with a smile on my face - all evening ;)

They are the first pair of phones I've bought yet which I didn't immediately put in a drawer and go straight back to the KSCs.

They aren't so good that I'll ditch the Koss completely, but I think I may end up preferring the Panas for some things and the KSCs for other.

But finally I've found another pair of headphones I don't hate :p The JVC RX700 are huuuuugely overrated, and the HD201 I had before were just plain awful.

I'll end with a question: can any headphone give a good level of bass at low volume? I'm happy with the HTF bass but I have to turn it up a tad louder than I'd like, and my ears are ringing after a couple hours. Don't get that with the KSC at all.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
If you want bass then there are plenty of bass head signature headphones or ones with emphasised bass.

I don't know much about basshead phones the only one I have which is bass heavy is the Fidelio X1.

Have a look at bass head threads on head fi.

Also good headphones does not equal good gaming cans. It depends on the type of gaming. For competitive fps you want zero bass, wide soundstage with exceptional mids. For immersive gaming then yeah you can use any decent headphones with bass

Caporegime
OP
no idea how good those are, i've never tried them, all you can do is read reviews on head fi or look at the mad lust envy thread, berydynamic as a brand though are brilliant, better than sennheiser in the bang for buck department, so take that as you will.

my AKG Q701's should be arriving any day and most people if not all have missed customs at roughly £95 each, it would take headphones costing £300+ to beat them for gaming and even then only marginally, they are one of the best gaming cans you can buy full stop, and mrk seems to like them more than his X1 for music in certain areas too.

I know you missed out and that's not what you wanted to hear, but maybe some kind fellow who doesn't like theirs who bought them will sell them on to a fellow member for cheap.... and no I won't be selling mine lol.

You need a headphone with a very very wide soundstage and clear mids for it to be great for gaming. So those 2 should be the main things you look for in headphones.

I have no idea how wide the soundstage or how good the mids are on the custom one pro, I think someone else on here owns one though in white, i'm sure I read that a few months back.

Soldato
Hi Sonny they have some very good reviews and look good so hopefully I will get them tomorrow morning and see how it goes. I'm hopeful they will blow the SteelSeries 9h wireless out of the water :)

Caporegime
OP
did you buy from massdrop? as they are only £117 here in the UK where they a lot cheaper on the drop?

for that money I think the Beyerdynamic DT770 is meant to be amazing for gaming Ryan on here loves them and they are meant to be really comfortable and have decent bass too.

head-fi is your best source for reviews on gaming headphones. search for custom one pro in the MLE thread and read the posts about them in that thread.

the reason why so many people bought the Q701 is because in reality it's a £200-£300 headphone here in the UK (prices have dropped now across the board). At £95 it was a no brainer.

I think AKG will be launching a new range soon which is why they are now offloading them cheap or maybe the Q701 is going EOL.

Soldato
did you buy from massdrop? as they are only £117 here in the UK where they a lot cheaper on the drop?

for that money I think the Beyerdynamic DT770 is meant to be amazing for gaming Ryan on here loves them and they are meant to be really comfortable and have decent bass too.

head-fi is your best source for reviews on gaming headphones. search for custom one pro in the MLE thread and read the posts about them in that thread.

I got them from the rainforest as I would have needed to wait and risk custom fees from massdrop
I might get a pair of DT770 also to try :)

Soldato
Hi Sonny they have some very good reviews and look good so hopefully I will get them tomorrow morning and see how it goes. I'm hopeful they will blow the SteelSeries 9h wireless out of the water :)

headphones arrived nice a light and great sound and the bass is amazing and the headset actually vibrates when I hear explosions so far so good if these are good I wonder what the 770s will be like

Soldato
Guys can you help I'm wanting to try the dt770s which set should I get and also want closed ones
The rainforest have 250ohm closed ones so are they suitable?

Caporegime
OP
We already had this discussion not too long ago. Search for DT 770 on the forums.

Someone bought the 250ohm version then didn't like the cable so then replaced them with the 80 ohm version.

What are you looking for? The Q701 is the new king on these forums but it requires a powerful amp

Caporegime
OP
Yeah 80ohm is easier to drive. The difference in sound isn't a lot either from what I have been told. So you can use them with a phone/tablet/laptop too if need be with the 250 ohm you can't.

Sent you a trust message

Associate
Hi, for far too long I've been using budget crappy headsets, wasting money on some rubbish "GAMING HEADPHONES" which usually break within 6 months :x my friend showed me his AKG's with a DAC and I was just blown away at the difference so here I am looking for some advise and I'm really ignorant so please excuse me!

That being said l I am looking for some decent all rounder heaphones for:

Gaming (Fps and MMO's)

Musssssic (I like a lot of different types of music from dub step and DnB to metal and rap).

Movies/etc.

I do like bass, but not obnoxious amounts. Some where in the middle between Zero and blow the windows out. As for what else I like I'm not really sure? I don't like flat or tinny sounding stuff but yer.

They need to be durable (a detachable cable is a +, I always end up breaking them).

Comfort is essential, as is them not being too sweaty/hot.

I was looking at the K702's? But I have no clue really.

Budget is around £150-200 maybe £250 for the headphones. Obviously I don't care if it has a mic attached or not. Could you also please recommend me a decent-ish budget Amp/Dac for up to £50

Thanks in advance!

Associate
Hi, for far too long I've been using budget crappy headsets, wasting money on some rubbish "GAMING HEADPHONES" which usually break within 6 months :x my friend showed me his AKG's with a DAC and I was just blown away at the difference so here I am looking for some advise and I'm really ignorant so please excuse me!

That being said l I am looking for some decent all rounder heaphones for:

Gaming (Fps and MMO's)

Musssssic (I like a lot of different types of music from dub step and DnB to metal and rap).

Movies/etc.

I do like bass, but not obnoxious amounts. Some where in the middle between Zero and blow the windows out. As for what else I like I'm not really sure? I don't like flat or tinny sounding stuff but yer.

They need to be durable (a detachable cable is a +, I always end up breaking them).

Comfort is essential, as is them not being too sweaty/hot.

I was looking at the K702's? But I have no clue really.

Budget is around £150-200 maybe £250 for the headphones. Obviously I don't care if it has a mic attached or not. Could you also please recommend me a decent-ish budget Amp/Dac for up to £50

Thanks in advance!
click the link in my Sig see if any of those meet your needs.

Caporegime
OP
The only amp/DAC you will get for £50 is a sound card with headphone amp built in.

The cheapest one I can recommend personally is the AUNE T1. As for headphones AKG Q701 with bass port mod is probably the best to buy for that kind of budget.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the reviews Ryanr. I'll have a look at them all now!

Hm, how much would I need to be looking to spend to buy a decent amp/DAC then? And any recommendations?

Thanks

*edit*

The AKG Q701's look perfect for me. I'll do some more research into them, good shout!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom