Need advice from people with MSI motherboards

Soldato
I'm building a new PC with a MSI motherboard - "MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC" (it's not quite ready to power on yet but will be soon) and have been looking at the software that is is on the included DVD and available from the MSI website. But I'm not sure what I should install, and what is just unneccesary bloat.

It's been a long time (over a decade) since my last proper PC build and I've never used MSI stuff before, So if anyone could give my some tips/advice on what to install and what not to bother with I'd appreciate it.

Here's some of the software available:

- PCIE Realtek Network Drivers (I assume windows 10 would just istall this anyway?)
- Super Charger
- Fast Boot
- Live Update 6
- Smart Tool
- X Boost
- DPC Latency Tuner
- Gaming OSD
- MSI Display Kit
- Intel Extreme Tuning Utility
- CPU-Z MSI Gaming
- MSI Dragon Center

So, out of that lot, what I should I install (if any) and what should I not bother with?

There's also half a dozen or so drivers for things like bluetooth or "Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver". I guess I don't need to install these because windows update would just install stuff like that automatically, right?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Here's some of the software available:

- PCIE Realtek Network Drivers - Nope
- Super Charger - Nope
- Fast Boot - Nope
- Live Update 6 - Nope
- Smart Tool - Nope
- X Boost - Nope
- DPC Latency Tuner - Nope
- Gaming OSD - Nope, but no harm in taking a look
- MSI Display Kit - Nope
- Intel Extreme Tuning Utility - Nope
- CPU-Z MSI Gaming - Nope, but CPU-Z can be interesting
- MSI Dragon Center - Nope

So, out of that lot, what I should I install (if any) and what should I not bother with?

There's also half a dozen or so drivers for things like bluetooth or "Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver". - Nope, if you need a driver go to manufacturer (e.g. Realtek or Intel) directly.

Soldato
Install nothing from that DVD. Download the necessary drivers from their website as the DVD driver is likely to be out of date if your board has been released for some time.

I have MSI b450 board. It’s bios functionality with respect to overclocking isn’t on par with ASUS such as p state overclocks etc. Also for the same price bracket MSI boards always seem to have less features than other board albeit usually boast very competent VRM and heatsink designs.

Anyway I would be looking at ASUS or Gigabyte next time round.

Back
Top Bottom