CPU: Intel Core i7-7820x

Motherboard
MSI Pro Series X299 Raider

Currently connected is:
4x 8gb DDR4 RAM
Samsung NVMe SSD 960 Evo M.2 250GB
1tb HDD
1080 TI Graphics card

Hi, I really need some help I hardly know anything about pcs. Recently my SSD keeps getting full so ive brought a 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 . I was wondering can I connect this on my motherboard too? So have 2 ssds and the HDD.

(I know my board has 2 slots, one is hard to get too because the graphics card covers this , but i think i am right in saying i can unplug the graphics card install the ssd and it will be fine ?.)

Thank you

Associate
OP
so i can have 2ssds and a hdd no problem ? its just a case of slotting it in ? thank you both for you replies

Associate
so i can have 2ssds and a hdd no problem ? its just a case of slotting it in ? thank you both for you replies

For installation, you typically just slot the drive into the M2 port and then at the opposing end, secure with a screw (they come with your motherboard).
Make sure to check your motherboard manual. On some boards, installing devices into M2 disable certain sata ports, so just check :)

Man of Honour
There is no problem having 2 m2 drives but sometimes it will disable one of the sata ports on the motherboard. If this happens just move the sata hard drive to another sata port.

Associate
OP
Thank you both for you reply s , i'm a noob tbh so sorry for this next question but is that the cables into the PSU?

Man of Honour
Associate
Thank you both for you reply s , i'm a noob tbh so sorry for this next question but is that the cables into the PSU?

Your HDD will have two ports on it, a power port and a data connection port.
PSU goes to power port
Data connection port goes to motherboard.

Code:
# # # # # #
#         # [Power port] ================== PSU Power (eg Molex)
#  H D D  #
#         # [Data port] =================== Motherboard (eg Sata)
# # # # # #

Your M2 drives won't need cables, they just attached directly onto the motherboard.

You might find that after connecting the new M2 drives that the HDD stops working. If this happens, just change where it is plugged into the motherboard - there should be other sata ports near to where it is already plugged in

Soldato
Any new drive in Windows needs to be initialized.
In Windows Search > type Disk Management > Your drive will show there as unallocated > right click > new simple volume > press next until you cant press next anymore> click finish > wait a few minutes.

Back
Top Bottom