Need advice with upgrade

Associate
Hi all !
I am new to this forum and I have no clue whether or not discussion like this exists if so delete this post and send me a link so I could have a look on it.

Okay, so the problem is that currently I have a setup as follows:
MOBO: Asus Sabbertooth r2.0 ATX
CPU: AMD FX-9590
GPU: MSI Radeon 7850 Twin Frozr 2GB OC
RAM: Ballistix Sport DDR3 (OCed to 2333Mhz 2x8GB)
PSU: Corsair HX1000i (1000W)
Storage: 1x EVO 850 (256GB) + 2TB WD SSHD

Now, I wanted to upgrade the graphic card. I came up to conclusion to buy MSI RTX 2070 without OC but my CPU will bottleneck it so I need to upgrade CPU as well. As AM3/AM3+ is already dead I need to upgrade MOBO too. The GPU is priority and I already have chosen RTX 2070 so we can skip it as I only need help with MOBO and CPU and the most win-win deal.

On OcUK I found two following bundles:

1st:
CPU: Core i7 7800X
MOBO: Asus X299 TUF Mark 2
RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB 3200Mhz)
Extra Storage: Intel 1TB M.2 SSD 660p (welcome Intel Optane)
BUNDLE COST : 890.99£

2nd:
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X
MOBO: Asus Strix X370-F
RAM: Gigabyte Aorus RGB DDR4 (2x8GB 3200Mhz)
Extra Storage: TeamGroup 480GB l5 Lite SSD NAND SATA
BUNDLE COST: 658.97£

I do not hide the fact that I am more into Intel now and my judgment is a bit subjective that is why I need your help to find the best deal. What I want to achieve is a High End PC as much future proof as possible and that is why 1st deal seems alright to me as MOBO has 8 slots for RAM, CPU support quad channel and VR (not quite sure about Ryzen 7) + supports bigger memory frequencies. So at the end of the day I have 2 times more RAM with possibility to OC it higher, same with Intel CPU, 2 times more Storage 1TB vs 480GB in price 200£ more which seems fair to me, that are my feelings.

But on the other hand, do higher RAM frequency and quad instead of dual will give me anything? (I am not sure if Ryzen 7 support quad channel) and m2 660p have mixed opinions as well plus already dead X-Series Intel CPU... Is LGA-2066 more future proof than AM4 ?

@Edit
I forgot to mention the most important thing... I am Game Developer so I use my PC mostly to Develop Games in Unity/UE4, also I use it a lot for renders in After Effects/Black Magic Fusion and of course Gaming ;) I want to achieve the best results somewhere in between Games/Rendering/Developing for that price. VR option is a plus as I want to hit that topic with development soon but stable high end gaming is desirable as well.

More storage is always a plus, same with RAM but I am looking for help which one should I choose, which one is more future proof (I know nothing will be 100% future proof and I will need to upgrade it someday, I just want to upgrade less parts in a future than whole PC, I am willing to pay 200 pounds more now to pay less in the future) or if anyone has got better deal/option is more then welcome to share it.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Soldato
as a bundle

£1020 with 512GB SSD, one of the Best z390 boards available

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/prom...us-16gb-rgb-ram-free-512gb-ssd-bu-02t-gi.html

If your doing a lot of renders as well as games design, naturally you'll want a Core that either has the most threads to implement Multi Core coding or on the flip side for indie games, fastest single/dual speed you can get . i9 9900k/9700k able to do all the above faster then Tyzen 2700x but at a cost!
and being a Games designer, you know Intel have the advantage here , hopefully Zen2 would change that a bit :)

few benchmarks for AF

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...CC-2019-CPU-Roundup-Intel-vs-AMD-vs-Mac-1297/

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...Intel-X-series-2018-Refresh-Performance-1282/

reason for choosing 9900k over 9700k - though your current system, 9700k and 2700x would kill it!!

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...-Core-Processors-good-for-video-editing-1256/

all rounder , cheaper.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £860.42 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

both intels would need a good cooler . also Ryzen 2700x would need one if you plan to push past 4.2ghz on single core or 4.2ghz all core

Permabanned
Hi all !
I am new to this forum and I have no clue whether or not discussion like this exists if so delete this post and send me a link so I could have a look on it.

Okay, so the problem is that currently I have a setup as follows:
MOBO: Asus Sabbertooth r2.0 ATX
CPU: AMD FX-9590
GPU: MSI Radeon 7850 Twin Frozr 2GB OC
RAM: Ballistix Sport DDR3 (OCed to 2333Mhz 2x8GB)
PSU: Corsair HX1000i (1000W)
Storage: 1x EVO 850 (256GB) + 2TB WD SSHD

Now, I wanted to upgrade the graphic card. I came up to conclusion to buy MSI RTX 2070 without OC but my CPU will bottleneck it so I need to upgrade CPU as well. As AM3/AM3+ is already dead I need to upgrade MOBO too. The GPU is priority and I already have chosen RTX 2070 so we can skip it as I only need help with MOBO and CPU and the most win-win deal.

On OcUK I found two following bundles:

1st:
CPU: Core i7 7800X
MOBO: Asus X299 TUF Mark 2
RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB 3200Mhz)
Extra Storage: Intel 1TB M.2 SSD 660p (welcome Intel Optane)
BUNDLE COST : 890.99£

2nd:

I do not hide the fact that I am more into Intel now and my judgment is a bit subjective that is why I need your help to find the best deal. What I want to achieve is a High End PC as much future proof as possible and that is why 1st deal seems alright to me as MOBO has 8 slots for RAM, CPU support quad channel and VR (not quite sure about Ryzen 7) + supports bigger memory frequencies. So at the end of the day I have 2 times more RAM with possibility to OC it higher, same with Intel CPU, 2 times more Storage 1TB vs 480GB in price 200£ more which seems fair to me, that are my feelings.

But on the other hand, do higher RAM frequency and quad instead of dual will give me anything? (I am not sure if Ryzen 7 support quad channel) and m2 660p have mixed opinions as well plus already dead X-Series Intel CPU... Is LGA-2066 more future proof than AM4 ?

@Edit
I forgot to mention the most important thing... I am Game Developer so I use my PC mostly to Develop Games in Unity/UE4, also I use it a lot for renders in After Effects/Black Magic Fusion and of course Gaming ;) I want to achieve the best results somewhere in between Games/Rendering/Developing for that price. VR option is a plus as I want to hit that topic with development soon but stable high end gaming is desirable as well.

More storage is always a plus, same with RAM but I am looking for help which one should I choose, which one is more future proof (I know nothing will be 100% future proof and I will need to upgrade it someday, I just want to upgrade less parts in a future than whole PC, I am willing to pay 200 pounds more now to pay less in the future) or if anyone has got better deal/option is more then welcome to share it.

Thanks in advance!

Hi!

The best deal is the second deal that you quoted:

2nd:

About your future upgradeability worries, with the Ryzen build you will get access to the Ryzen 3000 and Ryzen 4000 series CPUs which are due the next couple of years and which will offer tremendous improvements over the current offerings.

Back
Top Bottom