Need hdd help

Associate
Hey fellas.

I’m fast filling up my Plex storage drives with family videos and pictures. Kids growing up, holidays and excursions etc.

anyway I have 3 x 2tb seagates at the mo. Can’t remember the model exactly but I’m wanting to move to 3 x 6tb drives.

can somebody please advise on the best ones to get? If I got 5400rpm drives will they be ok for the video playback

thanks in advance

Soldato
I picked up a couple of Seagate Ironwolf NAS 5400 RPM 6TB drives recently. They playback 1080p videos fine, haven't tried 4K.

I thought they parked heads often due to rather frequent churning sounds, but was wrong since the load/unload cycles exactly mirrored the amount of shutdowns. Turned out to be all the stepping between idle modes, which I solved by using SeaChest Utilities (for Windows). Disabled all idle modes except idle_a. After doing that, and disabling indexing on the drive, and Windows Search, setting Turn Off Hard Disk After to "Never/0", and disabling HWiNFO64 monitoring of the drives* for good measure, I rarely hear them.

* Some of these may not be necessary but I wanted to cut out as much Windows access to the drives as possible.

They are CMR which is a good thing. WD Red NAS drives are SMR, so you'd want Red Plus or Red Pro if you want CMR with WD.

Back
Top Bottom