Need help after upgrading CPU

Associate
Hi everyone, recently I have upgraded my CPU from a AMD FX-6300 to FX-8350 Black edition. But the problem is that the games I use to play on medium setting on FX-6300 with out any problem, on the upgraded CPU they are just stuttering most of the time even on low settings.

My current hardware specs are
AMD FX-8350
ASROCK 985GM GS3-FX Motherboard
GTX 1050Ti
2x 4GB DDR3 RAM
Corsair Hydro H60 liquid cooler
Corsair 550 Watt CX550 Bronze ATX Power Supply

I have already updated the BIOS, reinstalled windows
and updated the GPU drivers.
Any help to get rid of the stuttering would be much appreciated.

Soldato
That CPU isn't on the support list for that motherboard. It looks like it doesn't support CPUs over 95W TDP on the AM3+ socket, probably due to insufficient VRM capabilities.

Is yours a 125W CPU? You could try underclocking it to see what effect that has, but it might be a more embdedd issue than that. You might need to upgrade motherboard or swap your CPU for a 95W one.

Associate
You've gone from a 6 core to a 8 core CPU - try turning off two of the cores & seeing if that stabilizes gameplay.

A 550W PSU is also probably a bit tight but suitable - your limiting factor is the motherboard.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply, do you know how can i turn of the 2 cores?

Do you think would it be better (long term) to upgrade the motherboard and the processor to a intel? My budget is around £600 would you recommend anything?

Thanks

Soldato
Thanks for the reply, do you know how can i turn of the 2 cores?

Do you think would it be better (long term) to upgrade the motherboard and the processor to a intel? My budget is around £600 would you recommend anything?

Thanks

ryzen 6 core 12 thread 1st Gen budget - will smash the FX setup easily! should see gains of 5-12 fps on games specially at 1080p

CODE
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £407.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

latest second gen ryzen and its excellent XFR 2 auto overclocking feature- 8core 16 thread - might be a bit overkill but almost to your max budget

Total: £567.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

shaves off £90 ryzen 2600 6 core 12 thread

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-...hz-socket-am4-processor-retail-cp-3af-am.html

as always (currently) Intel will give max FPS​

Associate

I'd stick with AMD for now - the Ryzen line is good.

There should be an option under the bios for selective core activation - you'll need to set it to manual & then disable two cores.

Associate
OP
ryzen 6 core 12 thread 1st Gen budget - will smash the FX setup easily! should see gains of 5-12 fps on games specially at 1080p

CODE
Total: £407.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

latest second gen ryzen and its excellent XFR 2 auto overclocking feature- 8core 16 thread - might be a bit overkill but almost to your max budget

Total: £567.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

shaves off £90 ryzen 2600 6 core 12 thread

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-...hz-socket-am4-processor-retail-cp-3af-am.html

as always (currently) Intel will give max FPS​

Thanks for you suggestions, in the meantime I have done some searching and I found this bundle -
-Intel Core i7 8700K CPU
-ASUS PRIME Z370-P ATX Motherboard
For £392

Or
-Intel Core i7 8700K CPU
-ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING ATX Motherboard
For £479

Or would I be better of sticking with AMD Ryzen like you suggested?

Last edited:
Soldato
8700k will give you the most FPS due to its design and clock speed, specially when overclocked. Plan to hit above 4.8ghz then you'll need flagship air-cooled or good AIO

Associate
OP
8700k will give you the most FPS due to its design and clock speed, specially when overclocked. Plan to hit above 4.8ghz then you'll need flagship air-cooled or good AIO

Ok, thanks. I will go with the 8700k. Do you think will it work alright with my current gpu( gtx 1050ti) just for now, Im planning on upgrading it in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom