Need help making a fallout 3 decision

Associate
ScreenShot14.jpg

ScreenShot15.jpg

ScreenShot19.jpg

ScreenShot16-1.jpg

Soldato
Fallout 3 Wanderers Edition (FWE) and Marts Mutant Mod (MMM) are the ideal places to start. The Weapon Modification Kit (WMK) is a nice addition (my silenced, scoped Ol' Painless = win) as is the Energy Visuals Enhanced (EVE) if you like energy weapons, though i couldn't get this to work and removing this seemed to get the merged patch to work. So you'll probably need FO3Edit which merges patches or something. I dunno how it works or what it does all that well but it seemed to sort everything out.

Some people have said to check the Fallout 3 Overhaul Kit (****) but personally i think it goes too far with weapons. 150+ new weapons is just excessive.

FWE generally makes it a lot harder but you can modify little things if you prefer a different or vanilla setting and some changes generally make the game a bit more focused on how you level up. 1 of the major changes is healing. Vanilla was laughably easy with all food/drink items healing you. Now all food/drink does is feed you/quench your thirst and Stimpak healing was massively reduced and restoring crippled limbs is a lot more hardcore.
Increased Increased Spawns + Feral Ghoul Rampage mods for MMM are great fun and if you go anywhere you expect to find Ghouls, i hope you have a fully automatic weapon, preferably with a large clip. It took me almost 1000 rounds of Flamethrower, Minigun, Vindicator Minigun, M60, LSW and Jackhammer ammo total to get through the Museum to grab the Lincolns Repeater. Not to mention the 500-1000 ammo i spent outside in The Mall killing off about 30-40 Super Mutants.

YES :D Just what I was after. Thanks again mate!

Soldato
Why play the game if you're gonna use a 999 weight mod? Defeats the purpose of playing an RPG.

And how the hell do you get hold of Darnified UI. The only place it seems to exist is the Bethesda forums and you need to sign up to view them.

Associate
Why play the game if you're gonna use a 999 weight mod? Defeats the purpose of playing an RPG.

I've played F3 to death. FCOM, ****, MMM, FWE etc. I've tried most of them, all without unlimited weight, which I only used late into its life. In the screenshots I'm using unlimited ammo.

And how the hell do you get hold of Darnified UI. The only place it seems to exist is the Bethesda forums and you need to sign up to view them.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1085562-wipzbeta-darnified-ui-f3/ towards to bottom of the 1st post.

Man of Honour
Just buy retail edition on PC, cheapest and will be better than PS3.
Also FWIW I didn't feel the game needed mods (although that's not to say there won't be some very good ones that did improve things).

I'm inclined to agree: my experience of mods for bothFallout3 and Oblivion is that they tend to fall into these categories:

1) Make the game much harder. Great if you are experienced, but I've never seen why experienced players feel the need to recommend these sorts of mods to newbies

2) "Improve" the look. Some do, some don't; and even the ones that do screw up here and there. They nearly always have a massive performance penalty as well, so you need to wait until the game is years old before your hardware can run them.

3) Add loads of extra weapons and armour, mostly massively overpowered or stolen from other games/films/books. That said, I did try to to make Nethack mod for Morrrowind.

4) Add a house/den etc, usually with way too many features (training areas, buffs to stuff and skills etc). My first mods to games are usually houses, so I understand the idea, but mine are fairly simple and are intended mostly as storage.

While mods change a game, neither Oblivion nor Fallout3 is broken enough to "need" mods, unlike (say) Gothic 3. There is probably no such thing as a "must-have" mod for either, and my advice for newbies remains the same for both games: play it vanilla, decide what you don't like, then get a mod which changes it. Ignore the siren call for this and that "essential" mod, because there's no such thing. There's a vast gulf between you liking it and it being essential.

M

Soldato

Agreed. Though things like UI updates i'd say, while not essential, should at least be recommended immediately so you can decide if you want it after playing once. Overhauls are a big no, something to look into later. Graphics mods tend to be more trouble than its worth to get working for first time players.

Caporegime
Spirited whats in those screen shots?

Do all the weapons/armour come ith the mod or is it just a place you can put stuff you find?

If it's the latter that would be quite cool :p

Soldato
I assume its just a storage locker.

screenshot3bq.jpg

A collection of my Heavy Weapons dudes gear, including the mass of ammo in storage. I really don't know about the damage numbers, they seem a bit warped. The Pancor Jackhammer is listed at 3100 damage. Still, a nice comparison is that my Minigun took under 50 bullets to kill a Deathclaw... and almost 200 bullets to kill a Deathclaw Matriarch... not a fight to take lightly.

Back
Top Bottom