Need help picking new cooler want 4ghz

Caporegime
Was it that bad?
Yes, it was that bad, thats one of the reasons ive stuck with my lapped TRUE black, the only improvement is custom watercooling, not theese gimmick setups like the corsair h50, coolit domino etc. At the time i had he q6600 at 3.8ghz, i had the opportunity to try lots of coolers, (nephew tests systems for a living), i tried the sunbeam core contact, thermolab baram, titan fenrir, tuniq tower and noctua, none of them could cope with my q6600 at 3.8ghz compared to my TRUE, such a god coler i stil use it, it cooled a 3.8ghz q9550 with ease, currently cooling a 4.0ghz i7 920 with ease, only improvement for me is custom watercooling.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm surprised the Baram didn't work well for you. I found it to be a pretty good cooler but it's true (hehe) to say the Thermalright is superior. It has one major advantage over the VX and the Noctua in that it doesn't block any RAM slots. I finally installed my one to test, as you requested, and I'm very impressed with it given its age and price nowadays. I'll probably still stick to my NH-D14 though.

Caporegime
Thank you Helios for your reply mate, i am quite fond of my old TRUE black, albeit mine is lapped very flat (2000 grit), only upgrade for me is custom water. (which im gathering bits for) the dh14 is an amazing air cooler, unfortunately im using ocz reaper ram which have very high heatpipes, even with my TRUE black i still have room for 12gb if i ever need it, though il be limited to 25mm fans, probably a moot point as i want to go watercooling in my current lian li a7ofb case, noticed your a lian li owner as well, a man with taste;)

Few pics of mine in situ.

IMG_1479.jpg

IMG_1482.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Thank you Helios for your reply mate, i am quite fond of my old TRUE black, albeit mine is lapped very flat (2000 grit), only upgrade for me is custom water. (which im gathering bits for) the dh14 is an amazing air cooler, unfortunately im using ocz reaper ram which have very high heatpipes, even with my TRUE black i still have room for 12gb if i ever need it, though il be limited to 25mm fans, probably a moot point as i want to go watercooling in my current lian li a7ofb case, noticed your a lian li owner as well, a man with taste;)

Indeed :p. I was thinking of the A70 myself originally but wanted something smaller hence getting the B25B (the old version). They're just excellent cases to work with although mine is getting cramped inside. I like your braiding btw, my attempt failed when I tried but I didn't have as much patience...

I've got quite a few more coolers line up to test over the next month or so and currently the most promising one seems to be the Alpenfohn Matterhorn. And possibly a thermal paste round up. I just need my exams to be out of the way first! :(

Caporegime
Thanks mate, none of the braiding was done by me though, nzxt and corsair are to blame lol, i just need to get the pwr, reset and hdd cables braided to match, with the multi coloured lok they spoil things a bit. I really love this case, but if lian li had made it half an inch wider it would have been perfect. I used to use a non modular thermaltake toughpower 750w psu (same unit as corsair tx 750w), with it the atx 24 pin cable fitted behind the mobo tray very well, unfortunately my new corsair hx 850w has a thicker 24 pin cable, though ive managed to get it out of the way a bit. But, i think lian li make the best cases, the build quality is superb, no sharp edges internaly, great pci bracket assembly, good stock cooling and just how they look as well.

EDIT; Good luck with your exams.

C64

C64

Soldato
Worth mentioning that gaming loads are all that matters, you can be hitting 85c in IBT but if it's staying below 60c gaming load then surely it's good to go ?

Noctua are bringing out a new cooler soon based on the Dh14 but smaller allowing people with taller ramsinks to use.
Here it is as shown at computex 2010.
120mm_d.jpg

It's about time the review sites started using Intel Burn test imo as well as prime 95 I think that IBT truly separates the men from the boys in the cooling department.

Last edited:

C64

C64

Soldato
Yes, it was that bad, thats one of the reasons ive stuck with my lapped TRUE black, the only improvement is custom watercooling, not theese gimmick setups like the corsair h50, coolit domino etc. At the time i had he q6600 at 3.8ghz, i had the opportunity to try lots of coolers, (nephew tests systems for a living), i tried the sunbeam core contact, thermolab baram, titan fenrir, tuniq tower and noctua, none of them could cope with my q6600 at 3.8ghz compared to my TRUE, such a god coler i stil use it, it cooled a 3.8ghz q9550 with ease, currently cooling a 4.0ghz i7 920 with ease, only improvement for me is custom watercooling.

Were they lapped though ? is it fair to compare a lapped TRUE to a non lapped heatsink ?

Caporegime
The tuniq tower and noctua were lapped, but good point all the same about the other coolers, wouldnt fancy lapping direct heatpipe contact coolers such as the fenrir or sunbeam core contact though, very easy to overdo it and weaken the heatpipes.

Ste

Ste

Soldato
Airflow in there doesn't look great to me. Whats the delta when you take the side off under load - always a good test.

The D14 should sort you out for 4ghz.

Caporegime
Another of your tests ill look forward to Helios, i was actually considering buying an IFX 14 to see how it would perform, theyre actually pretty well priced now, would have to check that it would fit first though.

Back
Top Bottom